Chapter 11: In Between Worlds

Start from the beginning

She went up to the office of her old friend and publicist, Maria Holmes, but there was no Maria there. That was weird. She was literally always there. OK well, she could pop in next door and see Simon Orsik, her old manager. Maybe he would know where Maria was.

Kim went over to the other office but Simon wasn't there either. In fact his office looked completely deserted, like he hadn't been there in a long time. It was all dusty and there were papers falling all over the place. Even the pictures of his kids were gone.

OK sooo, what now? Annoying! Kim couldn't even use her phones to contact Maria. She went back to Maria's office to write her a note, by hand, on paper, like it was the 1700s or something. She was looking around the office for one of those things you write with when she noticed a full-length mirror on the wall that hadn't been there before. Maria must have had it installed after she'd left.

Kim caught sight of her reflection and couldn't resist going in for a closer look. The current situation was not good. She needed new clothes, new makeup, fix her contouring, DEFINITELY fix her hair, the whole everything. She leaned in closer and began examining her pores. Also a very bad scene. She was caught up in the horror of large pores when a hand reached out from the mirror. It grabbed a tight hold of her wrist, and before Kim could even scream, it pulled her through to the other side.

On the other side of the mirror Kim found herself in a room lit by flickering candlelight. But there was no time to look around-someone was attacking her. They had their arms wrapped around her and were squeezing. They were smothering her, suffocating her, choking the life out of her.

Or wait. Maybe this was a hug? OK yes this was a hug.

She extracted herself from their arms and saw who it was that had pulled her through: Maria Holmes, eldritch publicist.

"Maria! OMG! Hi!" Kim smiled and grabbed her and fully returned the embrace this time.

"Welcome back, sister," Maria said. "When did you return?"

"Just yesterday! I was so freaked out when I came by and your office was all empty!"

Maria nodded. "I had this secret room installed after you left. Too often I'd be at my desk trying to work and men would stop by and then not leave. They would just keep talking and talking. Eventually it became safer to just hang out back here."

"Yeah what is going on?" Kim asked. "I had one simple mission about buying a store and it turned into some kind of forced date? And then there were dudes throwing a Bad Opinion party at my loft? AND I smacked like 10 birds on my way over here and got nothing? I mean???"

Maria nodded. "You have been missed," she said, simply.

Maria stood back and let Kim look around the room, which smelled of smoke and jasmine. They stood on a floor of stone, and in the center of the room the stones were inset with a carved design in the shape of a Hecate's Wheel. The walls were lined with apothecary shelves filled with hundreds of jars and vials of various sizes. At a glance Kim saw they contained feathers, butterfly wings, tiny animal skulls, various crystals, herbs, minerals, and vividly-colored liquids Kim couldn't identify without a closer look.

"This is awesome," Kim said. "I'm loving this organizational system. I could totally use shelves like that."

"What brings you to our sacred space today, Kim?" Maria asked.

"Oh!" Kim reached into her bag and produced 5 phones. "I need a phone. Can you fix any of these?"

Maria accepted the phones and examined them. "They're male," she said. "Easily remedied. Come back through. Everyone will be happy to see you."