Chapter 24

The group rode out as soon as Steve mounted his horse, riding out of the citadel and through the city until they were out of it's walls and in the surrounding lands.

"I still call bullshit" Bucky said once they were trotting along the road at a steady pace. "That peasant probably just wanted a free meal, Thanos died centuries ago, so far we've seen nothing".

"Doesn't mean to say he's not around Buck..." Steve replied, keeping steady on the reins. He believed the farmer who had come to them. Amberley had also been right in some aspects. Thanos was cursed, so it would take a lot more than mortal men to kill him.

Sam now spoke after he'd spent most of the ride in silence. "If he's back...then there could be others..." and looked to his two friends. "Thanos and Ultron, they were the two main players. "What if Thanos wants to resurrect his old friend or friends...army of the dead?"

Steve snorted. "Now you're just overthinking, but with Ultron it could be a possibility..."

Sam smirked to Bucky. "See? I have all the good ideas".

"Oh like hell you do!"

Steve rode a little way in front to stop the headache that was Sam and Bucky disagreeing yet again, then seeing smoke appear from behind the hill. He held up his hand and the patrol group came to a stop. "Be on your guard!" He called and began to ride up the hill coming to the top of it and then seeing a devastating sight.

Smoldering buildings, some still with fire raging from them, smoke billowing into the air. A village of destruction. These were his lands, his people. How had no one yet come to report this?

Probably because the sheer scale of the devastation ensured that no one made it out alive.

They rode down to the village, dismounting some way from it, now seeing just how bad it was. "Shit". Steve muttered shielding himself from the heat. "Get some water from the river to put those fires out. Look for any survivors".  He commanded and looked to the sky for any inclination that Thanos had returned and was behind this.

"Steve!" Bucky called and the King joined his friend's side, now seeing what he was looking at. A large purple dragon scale.

Crouching down, Steve studied it. Dragon scales were large and heavy, but back when they'd ruled the skies, a scale or even bone was worth a lot of coin. Some would say worth their weight in gold even.

"Need anymore proof Buck?" He now asked, standing back up and looking to his friend.

"I think that's all we need".

Sam came up and shook his head. "No survivors...he raised the whole damn village to the ground" He told them and then saw what was on the floor. "Well...seems he left his mark".

"Get one the saddle bags, I wanna take this back - we need to show any proof then we have it". Steve looked around and sighed. "Not much else we can do here..." then he saw a group of men on horseback, watching from the next hill.

"Want me to tell Clint to put an arrow between his eyes". Bucky said, spotting the group and seeing just who it was.

Steve watched, then seeing Jarl Stark dismount from his horse and make his way down the hill toward them. "Lower your weapons". Steve commanded on hearing the clash of steel and swords being drawn.

"Are you nuts? He'll kill you where you stand". Bucky hissed.

"Not if I kill him first" Steve replied and walked towards Tony, both men coming to a stop in front of one another.

"Stark..."

"Rogers".  Tony now looked behind him at the smouldering village. "No guesses as to what went down here".

"So you've heard?"

Tony now looked at him. "I've seen it...or him if we're gonna go into detail. Flew over Manhattan an hour or so ago, circled for a while and then flew off in the direction of the mountains". He explained. "We were all but ready to shoot him down".

"A peasant came and alerted me earlier. Buck, bring me that saddle bag" Steve called back and Bucky brought it over, now opening it to show Tony exactly what was inside.

"Shit..."

"My thoughts exactly. Thanos is back, and he means to burn our cities to the ground, burn everything...but he could have an agenda. He was the last dragon but there were others, Ultron being one". He now told him. "Thanos can't be defeated by a sword, we know that much".

"So what will kill him?"

"What he was cursed with, magic". Steve confirmed. "Fight fire with fire".

Tony looked like he was having an inner battle with his conscience and then held out his hand. "I'm prepared to call a truce if you are, this is bigger than anything me or my army can go up against".

"What, and you think mine can?"

"I'm prepared to take him on if you are, or at least work together to try - your allies too if needed, draw up a treaty and I'll sign". He shrugged. "I just want peace".

Steve thought and thought before finally making up his mind and looking to Tony. "My wife told me I should form an alliance with you and your city. Said to put our differences aside. But I don't know whether I can trust you".

"Likewise, but we have to" The Jarl now shrugged. "My wife is with child, and I have to protect her, just like you have to with yours, and your son. We have the same outcome Rogers, both stubborn as shit too, but you have to agree that this is something we need to work together on".

There was silence until the King of Brooklyn broke it and then shook Stark's hand that was still extended to him. "You and your men are welcome in Brooklyn. We sign a treaty, it puts an end to our quarrels. Allies from now on".

"Deal".

Steve nodded. "We ride back to Brooklyn and start the negotiations - maybe decide what we're going to do about our problem that is Thanos".