Chapter 14

Amberley rose on the morning after her coronation, just as dawn was breaking. Throwing the doors to the balcony open, she stepped out to take in the cool air and view that overlooked the city and surrounding lands from where the palace itself was located on top of the hill. 

At this time, it was peaceful and beautiful. The city would rise within the hour and the hustle and bustle would begin. But for now, she would relish in the calm. The celebrations had lasted into the early hours of the morning, not just at the palace but in the city too. People had lined the streets as she'd been taken to the abbey to be crowned High Queen of Brooklyn. 

And now she could safely say that was exactly who she was. 

One hand placed itself delicately on her stomach. No signs of her condition were apparent yet. Banner, the physician, had determined that the baby would arrive in the spring so it would be sometime before her dresses would need to be taken out and altered to accommodate her.

The people called her the 'Summer Queen' as summer was upon them and she had been coronated then. It had been brought forward to the earliest convenience, and the dressmakers had been working around the clock to get her gown ready. 

And had been a very fine garment to wear indeed, if not a little heavy at times.  

Steve would call her his Wildflower, as she liked her freedom to do as she pleased. 

Since Peggy's departure from her household, Amberley had felt more at ease. She and her husband were getting along far better than before, and she truly hoped to please him as best a she could. She carried their heir within her body and once he was grown and brought into this world. The first step of her duty would be complete. 

Glancing back to inside of the chambers, she noted her husband was still asleep despite the breeze that now drifted through the open doors. 

She shared his bed nightly, even though it wasn't a common thing to do, especially when she was with child. However Steve had insisted that they now had a shared bedchamber. So here she would now remain. 

Turning back to the view, it wasn't long until she felt Steve's strong arms slide around her, coming to rest on her stomach. "Come back to bed". He told her gently. 

"I am not tired..." 

"Your King commands it". He murmured into her ear.

Turning in his arms she looked at him. "As you wish", and returned inside with him silently getting back into bed. 

He took her into his arms once more. 

Amberley rested her head on his chest, nails leaving trails across his skin as she made light patterns. She liked it when they had this time to themselves. Even if they did not speak, she still felt like they were making progress in connecting with one another. 

"What are you thinking about?" She finally felt herself ask, and glanced up at him. 

"The usual, it's nothing to concern yourself with". He smiled lightly. 

"Have you ever thought that your concerns may just be my concerns too?" 

Stroking her hair he chuckled lightly. "I wouldn't wish that upon you, you have other matters of importance to put first, our son being one of them". 

"I have an audience with Natasha's sister Yelena after the jousting this afternoon. I know Nat would like a place for her sister here, and it would be unfair not to consider her". 

The Coronation celebrations were still happening over the course of the next few days, from feasting to jousting. Guests such as King Thor of Asgard had come to watch the High Queen be crowned and to celebrate their ongoing allegiance to Brooklyn. 

"They are your ladies, you do as you please with them".  Amberley felt him place a kiss upon her hair. "I also had Barton come to me with a request. He and his wife have recently taken in a ward and are seeking a place for her in your household as well. Her name is Lady Kate Bishop? Are you familiar with her family?"

Amberley shook her head. "I shall speak with him later on, there is always room". 

It wasn't long before they had to rise and ready themselves for the day. The jousting would take place after lunch and Nat cleared her throat once they were back from morning prayers. "If it's not too much trouble my lady, would you be willing to take your audience with my sister now?" 

Amberley nodded. "Go and get her". 

Nat curtsied and headed to the lodgings where Yelena was currently dwelling, returning a while later with her. "Your majesty, may I present my sister, Lady Yelena Belova". 

Yelena gave a stiff curtsey, in fact everything in her manner looked exactly that, like she looked uncomfortable in the clothes that she wore. Somehow Amberley suspected that she did not seem to want a place in the household either. 

"Lady Yelena...it's wonderful to meet you, Natasha has told me so much about you". 

Yelena nodded. "Did she tell you how she almost suffocated me to death with this corset?" 

Amberley grinned. "I can see that you are not exactly comfortable. What are you used to wearing?" 

"Not this...ow!" Yelena grumbled and yelped as Nat stamped on her foot. 

"She has a lot to learn your majesty she..." 

Nat began to make her excuses but Amberley held up her hand to silence her. Then studying Yelena up and down. "You are a fighter, very much like myself. I can tell. Corsets and tight dresses do not make the cut. You want to be free..." 

Yelena looked to Nat. "She's good!" 

Amberley laughed, "I like you, you're not afraid to speak the truth either. Tell me Yelena, seeing as you do not want to be a lady in waiting, what is it that you want?" 

The younger sibling looked nervous and then her eyes met Amberley's. "To fight...you said I'm a fighter, I am, I can do some things better than any of those men in the King's army" 

The cogs in Amberley's mind were now working until an idea came to mind. "I can tell it's not in your heart to serve the way these ladies do, so I shall present another offer to you. A far better one than you would get anywhere else. I would like you to become my personal guard". 

Yelena's eyes went wide. "Really? You would do that?" 

"You can train with the King's army, Sir James does need to be put into his place - perhaps you could show them how it's done?"

"I...I don't know what to say...Thank you". Yelena looked at her disbelief. "You have not seen me fight and you would entrust your protection to me?" 

Amberley nodded. "We shall see you fight this afternoon, because you're going to disguise yourself as a Knight and show us what you have got at the joust". 

Now Yelena was excited. "I promise you that I shall wipe the floor with all of them". 

"Which is exactly my strategy. My father's army had women fight within it, I should like to bring the same to here. But I will need to prove to my husband that we are just as capable". Amberley now looked to Natasha. "Find your sister some armour, I'm going to rather enjoy this". 

Nat now threw back the same cunning smile as her mistress and went to the armoury to find her sister some fighting gear. The Queen most certainly had plans, and she would do them quietly and in the most subtle of ways in order to influence the King any way that she could.