Chapter 2

"Are you sure that this is a good idea pal? Marrying the traitor's daughter? I know I said she was a wise one and all, but it could be potentially damaging for the Kingdom". Bucky now said, following Steve down the halls of the Brooklyn palace, almost jogging to keep up. The King being just a few strides ahead. 

Steve stopped, Bucky almost crashing into him and turned to his friend. "It is only damaging if she tries to poison me in my sleep". 

"I wouldn't put it past her". 

"She commanded her men to lay down their weapons and surrender. She knows her own mind..." 

"Even worse". Bucky replied with a wrinkle of his nose in disapproval. 

Steve could not deny that this was probably one of the hardest decisions that he'd had to make, however putting a woman to execution for crimes that lay solely on her father's head? It would cause uproar. 

He needed a wife. 

He needed a son.

Lady Amberley looked like she possessed good hips for child baring, and she wasn't that bad to look at either. He'd noted that from the moment he had seen her stood patiently by the Jarl's throne. 

Awaiting whatever was to befall upon her. 

It could have been an executioners axe and she still would have held a poised stance as it hit her. 

No. He needed a woman to bear his children and she would be the one to do it. The family bloodline now came to rest on his shoulders as well as the ruling of the kingdom. 

"All I'm saying is that you need to be sure that..." 

"That what Buck? What could this woman possibly do when she knows what is at stake? She's been brought up highly educated, she knows her duty - that much is clear. One foot out of line and I shall deal with her as I see fit, but if she says she 'knows what's good for her', then she will fulfil her duties just as any other Queen would". 

Bucky looked at Steve. "Then you should at least secure her allegiance to you before the wedding. How do we know she's not fertile?" 

He had a point. A very good one. 

It wasn't exactly lawful, but Steve didn't exactly play by the book when it came to heirs and graces with women. He'd had plenty, from high born ladies of nobility right down to the maids who served him. 

None of whom complained. 

"I'll think about it". He said and continued walking down to his chambers. 

"The physician should at least check that she's...y'know, untouched?" Bucky followed him into the room and closed the door. "If she's to be the Queen? She needs to be pure". 

Steve settled himself behind his desk and began to look through some parchments. "As I said, I'll think about it - it's for me to decide, Buck". 

All Bucky could do was simply bow and leave his friend to get on with his work. Once he was gone Steve put down the parchment and lost himself deep in thought. 

This decision would not only affect him, but the entire kingdom. And as for the subject of securing a child before marriage? It was a valid point, yet not one that he'd known any man to make unless they were resorting to desperate measures. 

He was not a desperate man.

No. 

It was for the fates to decide whether to bless them with an heir, or two, or three. As many as she could give him. There always needed to two. One for security and the other just in case anything happened to the first born. 

All would be well. Wedding preparations would begin and in just under a month, Amberley would be not only his bride, but his Queen too. 

He would need her to select some ladies of the court, daughter's of trusted nobles who would serve her. Steve knew that she was more than capable of making that decision and would grant her that. Ladies in waiting were part of a Queen's domain, and thus he would not be involving himself in something such as that selection. However she would need at least someone to guide her - and he knew just the person. 

"Send for Lady Romanoff, I wish to speak to her". He instructed the servant who simply nodded curtly and disappeared. 

Steve sat back in his chair, awaiting Natasha's arrival. He was more than confident that Lady Amberley would fulfil her duties to him, as both wife and queen - but that was as far as it would go. 

Eventually Natasha was announced into the room and Steve smiled. Once the door was closed she looked to him with a smug expression. "Quite the shock you gave the court, announcing that you're marrying the the traitor". 

A small 'heh' escaped him and he gestured for her to sit. Natasha was a friend, however she knew her place. "She is no traitor. I could see it in her eyes". 

"What else have you seen that you're not telling me about?" Nat threw him a knowing look. "Bucky and Sam have a wager that you'll have bedded her by the end of this week, if not sooner. Perhaps you already have?" One eyebrow raised quizzically as she sat toying with the cuff of her sleeve. 

"You of all people know that I haven't". 

"But you're going to, I knew it". She chuckled and shook her head in disbelief. "Perhaps I should just tell the boys to call off their bet now and have done with it". 

Steve grinned, "There's no need for that - besides that's not why I called you here. I have a request". 

"I'm listening..." 

"I'm placing you in Amberley's household as chief lady in waiting, until she chooses who else she would like - she will need someone to serve her for the time being  as well as to help find her bearings around the palace". 

Nat smirked. "You also want me to keep an eye on her don't you?" 

Steve shook his head. "Not as such, but should anything be said or witnessed? I wanna hear about it". 

She nodded at this. "Very well...but you ever gonna trust her? I mean you're making her Queen, you need something to cement it." 

"She can start by giving me a son, then we'll go from there". He waved her away. "You'd best go and introduce yourself, I'm sure she's in need of some company". 

"And do you plan on giving her any?" 

"It depends in what context we're talking about". He threw her a very suggestive look as she departed with one last roll of her eyes.