Chapter 12

Preparations for Amberley's coronation were well underway and would take place at the abbey where she and Steve had been married some weeks earlier. Things in the marriage so far had been rather neutral, with the pair visiting one another most nights to provide more of a chance of conceding a child.

Outside of the bedroom? Amberley never saw much of her husband unless it was on a rare occasion that they dined together.

Her morning ritual would begin with worship to the six gods of Infinity. Something highly practiced across the land. The gods of mind, soul, time, space, reality and power had all once ruled as kings and queens in the past, each with the power to wield whatever ability they each had possessed. It had been said that the power and souls of the rulers had ended up being contained in the form of a brightly coloured stone after their passing - however no one had ever located them, not even one. It was simply a rumour.

Many copies of the stones had been made in order to deceive people, including King's themselves. However to this day, they had fallen into legend and were worshiped in the form of statues, jewellery and other artefacts to represent them.

The need for the stones was desirable.

The need for power was infinite.

After morning prayer, she would then have another ritual of her own. A private one that Steve had not been aware of until that morning. Lining the hallways of the royal apartments were portraits of the Kings and Queens who had ruled before.

Including that of Queen Sarah.

Each morning Amberley would light the candle that sat on the underneath, and bid her mother in law good morning. It was the only way to feel some connection with the woman who Steve had loved the most.

A mothers love was far stronger after all, and Amberley hoped that she too would be as close to her son as her husband had been to his mother.

She had not been expecting to see her husband that morning, let alone for most part of that day. Usually he was already busy with his matters of the kingdom by the time she had finished breakfast.
This morning however, she had been out to pick some flowers to place in some water on the table next to the candle that burned for the late Queen.

A simple touch in her eyes.

As Amberley lit the candle after arranging the flowers, she felt a presence. Glancing to her left she saw her husband watching her a little way down the hallway, before he ventured towards her and joined her side, looking up at the portrait of his mother looming over them.

"So...it's you that has been lighting the candle". He spoke after a moment of silence.

Amberley nodded, making some last arrangements to the flowers. "She deserves to be honoured, she was the last Queen to rule here after all, the only way I can connect is through that".

Steve watched her, "she would have liked you".

He was serious. His mother would have agreed with his choice. Amberley bore many similarities in her nature to her.

"Do you think?"

He nodded, "she'd have liked your determination amongst other things".

"What was she like?" Amberley asked. "Natasha says you do not speak of her much".

"I guess because her illness took her quickly. One minute she was there and the next? Gone".

It had been within a matter of hours after Queen Sarah had been struck down with tuberculosis that she had died. The kingdom had mourned, and Steve had never been the same. In truth he'd hoped to have married a woman with the same outlook as his mother had, and now he was getting to know his new wife a little more, it seemed that he had done just that.

Steve had spent many nights pondering whether he could love her. He wanted to feel something, but so far nothing had really presented itself in the form of that. The marriage was amicable, and he supposed that he could live with that despite circumstances as to how it had come about.

"I'm sorry..." Amberley said, looking up at the portrait.

He nodded. "I should be getting on, I have a meeting..."

"Yes of course". She smiled lightly and watched him go, then returning to her chambers to ready herself for the day.

**

Natasha sat sewing with her mistress that afternoon, watching as Peggy excused herself before leaning in to consult with Amberley. "She still shares his bed at the times when you do not..."

Amberley nodded, "I am aware...but it is alright Lady Romanoff, it does not wound me, not when I have reason to feel at ease". Smiling lightly at her friend.

Nat frowned at this along with a suspicious smile. "You're withholding vital information from me, I can tell".

"However did you guess" Amberley smirked and moved in closer to confide in her. "I am with child".

Natasha's face now changed to surprise. "You are?"

She nodded. "I am hoping to tell his majesty tonight, but you need not worry for me - all will be right in the world in no time", and with a small wink to her friend, Amberley continued her sewing.

Peggy may have her husbands attentions, but Amberley had his heir. One step closer than her lady in waiting could ever get.