Chapter 16

"I still refuse to believe that I was beaten by Romanoff's sister!" Bucky fumed as he looked to where Yelena stood guarding Amberley under a tent whilst Steve sparred with him. 

"Yep". Steve replied, blocking an attack with his shield. He'd been unable to test it out properly until now, but on a rare afternoon with no meetings, he'd suggested that his wife take some air and to come and watch him kick Bucky and Sam's asses. So far he could tell she was enjoying the entertainment, seated in the shade of the tent with her ladies. 

The day was hot and both men decided to rid themselves of their tunics to cool off, much to the joy of passing ladies as well as those that were sat with Amberley, fanning themselves as it seemed the day turned even hotter than expected. 

Amberley felt a yearning for her husband, staring at his toned and muscular torso. "I feel a little faint". She announced and Nat jumped up, beginning to fan her whilst telling Wanda to get the Queen something to drink. 

"It is very hot..." The Sokovian now said, passing her mistress a drink. 

Amberley downed it in one and nodded to Natasha. "I am fine..."

"Do you want to go inside your majesty?" 

"No, no...I am perfectly content here..." She said, eyes returning back onto Steve. 

Bucky was now looking over to Yelena who still looked smugly at him. "I think Sir James Buchannan is angry at my victory..." she smirked and looked down at Amberley. 

The Queen chuckled. "He is rather wounded. He's been the champion for the last few years running so the King told me. Now you've come along and spoilt his fun". There was a playful expression on her face as she relished in the fact that Bucky had been beaten by a woman on the field. 

"You hold a grudge James Buchanan!" Yelena now yelled in a very unladylike way, much the amusement of Amberley and the embarrassment of Natasha. 

"You're damn right I do Mistress Belova!" He returned with a challenging tone to his voice to match the look that he now sported.

Natasha rolled her eyes, muttering to herself. "Oh you've gotta be kidding me..."  

Yelena grinned. "I bet I could put you on that pretty little behind of yours for ten gold coins". 

"Twenty says you can't..." 

"You have a deal". Yelena looked at Amberley who nodded her permission for her to go out onto the field to spar with Bucky whilst Steve came over and poured himself a drink, wiping the sweat from his brow with his tunic and looking back at the pair who were readying themselves. 

"She's gonna put him on his ass" He stated as he sat down in the vacant seat next to Amberley, pulling his tunic on. Her eyes went to where it opened at his chest, exposing it and now making her feel a little flushed again. "Are you well?" He now asked with some concern, seeing that she looked a little hot and bothered. 

Amberley nodded. "Just the heat and this corset, they do not make for a comfortable mix". She began to fan herself once more, now watching Yelena and Bucky battle it out on the training field in front of them. 

Bucky had skill and strength, but Yelena was also quick on her feet, now sending her opponent to the ground and pinning him down. "Is this what my sister does to you in the bedchamber?". She jested and smirked down at him, then getting to her feet, "keep your coins". 

She walked back to join her mistress whilst the ladies and Steve clapped. Bucky now getting to his feet and looking very put out. "Better luck next time Buck". Steve called as his friend shrugged and then went to get some refreshment, shoving his sword into Peter's hands as he did. 

**

Steve was on the balcony late that evening when Amberley had finished readying herself for bed. "You were right about Yelena". He told her as she joined his side. "She is highly skilled, a good asset to the army. Lady Kate too...Barton's training her up more..." 

Amberley nodded. "I am just glad that you gave her the chance to prove herself". 

"She managed that at the joust". He smiled, "And for the record, I wasn't against women coming into the army in the first place. It's just that it's never been done before. Yelena and Kate are the first to ever stand up and show their talent". 

"Then let us hope it influences many more strong women to come and fight for our Kingdom for many years to come". She grinned at him and then yawned. 

"Come on, to bed - you need your rest". 

Amberley rolled her eyes. "Steve, I am perfectly fine. My goodness what are you to be like once I am even further along than I already am?" Her hand gently patted her stomach 

"Your worst nightmare, Now bed". He pointed inside before turning and steering her back into the room.

"Yes, your majesty" 

Getting in beside him, they lay staring into darkness for a while before she finally spoke to break the silence. "What do you think he will be like?" 

Steve looked across to her. "Who?" 

"Our son..."

There was a pause before he answered. "Hopefully more like you than me. I wouldn't wish for him to turn out the way I have..." There were a few traits that he'd inherited from his father, and he hated it. 

"You discredit yourself". 

"You'd seriously want him to grow up like me?" 

She smiled lightly. "He is your son, he shall have your traits as well as mine. I can already sense great things from him". 

Steve truly hoped so. He hoped to not be like his father was to him, and he was also certain in the fact that his wife would not allow him to be either.