Jiang Cheng and his son. modern au

Jiang Cheng sucks at praising his kids, he really does.

So he leaves that up to Lan Xichen or Wei Wuixian. Scratch that. He leaves it up to Lan Xichen. The last time he tried, it ended up with Lan jingyi crying.

It was his son's first football game, Lan Xichen was late as usual.

So when the playoffs were about to start, Jiang Cheng walked over to him.

"A-Yi, A-Yi"

"Yes daddy?" Oh bless that sweet child...big gold eyes looking up at him,

"You're going to well today, even if you can't run, you suck at football you're going to do good"

And that's when the coach had to bench Jingyi for the entirety of the game, he was inconsolable.

"So...you told him he sucks at football?" Lan Xichen asked after a week, they were cuddling up after two rounds of a steamy session.

"I'm not good at giving people encouraging words, okay?" Jiang Cheng glares at him feeling attacked.

"I'm not trying to attack you- why are you crying?" Lan Xichen cups his husband's face

"I just remembered how you suck at ping pong"

"I mean I play with balls but not like that"

Jiang Cheng gives his husband a look "how did you get so dirty minded?"

"Leave the praising up to me next time okay?" Lan Xichen pecks his lips before settling his love to sleep.

It's been five years since the incident, and Lan Jingyi has gotten way better at football, though Lan Qiren still says he sucks at running.

Which Jiang Cheng admitted, that it's true, the ten year old looks like those bobby head dolls for your car's dashboard.

Then it's another football match, Jiang Cheng is dreading it...the whole family is there.

Lan Wangji, Lan Qiren, Lan Sizhui, Jin Ling, Wei Wuixian.... except his husband again.

Lan Xichen had to go to USA. North Dakota on some business trip. The timezones are just...ugh.

"A-Yi! A-Yi!"

"Yes mom!"

"Who are you calling mother?!"

"You!"

They had a shout-out in the field during halftime, that ended with Jiang Cheng threatening to break his son's legs.

"Your father gave us English names..."

"Mom, I wanna be named Howard"

"Nope you're Jimmy, cuz it's close to Jingyi"

"Aww man..." Jingyi sulks all the way back home even though he literally won a football match 30 minutes ago.

"What's papa's name?"

"Richard"

"Cuz he's Rich, right?"

"Something like that"

"What about you mom?"

"What about me?"

"Your English name"

"You don't worry about my name"

"Why?"

"B-because."

"... it's a girl's name isn't it?"

"No."

"Mom"

"Fine! It's..."

"I didn't catch on to that!"

"Kim..."

"What?"

"Kimberly!"

That's when Jingyi died of laughter.