V8: Chapter 12 - What Is Lost

Start from the beginning

"In that case, I'll do the same thing," said Sudou. Three of the most qualified members of the group had earnestly promised to shoulder a significant burden. That meant they'd cover 7.2 kilometres.

"Thank you."

"Then, that only leaves the two of us, Ryuuji," Ryouta said. "One of us should run 2.4 and the other 1.2."

"You can run 1.2 if you want. I have no problem with doing a bit more."

Also, if my neck was on the line, I preferred to be the one running the longest distance.

"Hey! And what about me? What distance am I running?" Yamauchi asked.

We looked at him blankly.

"What?" he seemed confused. "I mean, I would understand if you'd want me to run 2.4 or even more. That's as easy as a walk in the park for someone like me. But—"

"You'll be running 1.2 kilometres, Yamauchi," I told him.

Does this guy ever stop talking? The other day, as we were training our speech during class, he just kept talking about how he won a public debate against the director of his old school himself.

"I see. So, you prefer to have me sprint on the last part of the relay like Usain Bolt reincarnated."

"Yeah, no, I would like to avoid our group placing last," Ryouta said.

"Usain Bolt ran short distances," I pointed out.

"He's alive, how would you be his reincarnation?" Ike seemed troubled by that fact.

"What surprises me is the fact that he knows who Usain Bolt even is," Tetsuya cocked his head, looking at Yamauchi as if examining a strange being.

"Hah! Fear not. With me as your anchor we'll have excellent results!" Yamauchi stated, punching his chest proudly.

If he did perform poorly, the school would make note of it, and then he'd have no way of escaping the solidarity rule if it was invoked against him. A guy like him wouldn't make that mistake.

"What do you mean, excellent results? You can't even do something like zazen right," Ike shouted.

"Heh. I mastered things like zazen in my early childhood. It's no problem. You'll see my true potential in the exam," Yamauchi's confidence didn't seem like it was going to waver.

"I don't won't even ask what your childhood was like." Norihito muttered.

Yamauchi laughed and began explaining how he had been the most gifted child of his elementary school.

As everyone began grumbling, I let myself fall back on my bed. Every second that passed only made me more and more certain that we were doomed.

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

It was our final dinner before the exam. While I was eating with Kei and Chiaki and waited for Yousuke and Nao to join us, as they went to discuss something with Matoba, I spotted Ichinose walking past, carrying a tray, and called out to her. I wasn't attempting to draw information out of her, it wasn't necessary. It was just that, well...something seemed a little off about her.