CHAPTER 54

As soon as Bharat and Shatrughan entered the palace, they knew something wad up. The palace had never been so lifeless.

All the maids and servants stood with tear strained faces, all the guards were standing with lowered gaze. Even the citizens of the Ayodhya were silent, sitting outside their houses.

"The city has never been in such a lifeless condition." Shatrughan said.

"Some adversity has fallen it seems." Bharat said looking around at the palace.

Suddenly they were brought out of their thoughts by sound of stomping of stick. They turned and saw Manthara coming towards them with an excited grin on her face, taking the name of Bharat.

"Bharat ! You came back ! My Bharat may you live long !" Manthara said.

"What has happened Manthara ?" Bharat asked.

"Your mother is calling for you Bharat ! Go to her quickly !" Manthara said ignoring his question.

"But first let me meet Pitashree." Bharat said.

"Maharani has called you regarding that matter only ! Go to her Bharat ! It's urgent ! Shatrughan you too go to your mother, she has been waiting for you too !" Manthara said.

Both Bharat and Shatrughan looked at Manthara suspiciously and then at each other. Bharat gestured him to go to Sumitra, Shatrughan nodded and left but he was growing wary of Manthara and the silence of the palace.

The entire city seemed to be in the state of some sort of remorse and only she was happy. And Ripudaman knew that her happiness must've come with a high cost.

"Come Bharat !" Manthara said.

She walked ahead as Bharat followed her behind. Each passing moment the son of Kaikeyi was getting more and more anxious.

But when he reached the room of Kaikeyi, his breath hitched and jaw dropped seeing her mother dressed in white with her hair open.

His mind told him the inevitable but his heart was shuddering to believe it.

"Leave us alone, Manthara." Kaikeyi said. The old woman nodded smirking and went outside stomping her stick.

"M-Mata.... Why is your hair open ? Why have worn such white clothes ? Where are your sringar ? Where is the sindoor ?" Bharat asked.

"Oh Bharat, the one who takes birth on this earth must die someday as well. After leaving the material body, whatever lok the great souls get, your pita also has gone there." Kaikeyi said.

And those words thumped right onto Bharat as he took a step back. He clutched his heart, finding it difficult to even breathe.

"My heart was trembling with anxiety the entire way from Kekeya.... All my fears.... All my nightmares came true...." Bharat muttered leaning back on a pillar holding his head with one hand.

"Son, great and wise men like you shouldn't lament. Your father has left us all the happiness." Kaikeyi said.

Bharat looked at Kaikeyi as she came towards him, holding his hand and making him sit down at the couch.

"Your father once had given me two boons when I saved his life in Devasur sangram...." Kaikeyi told Bharat the entire tale.

Listening to what she had asked for, Bharat stood up form the couch and looked at Kaikeyi with wide eyes.

"Maharaj died in the separation of Ram, but now you have to take your duties as the new king." Kaikeyi said.

She looked up at Bharat and instead of seeing the usual love and respect saw disbelief and disgust. Such emotions fell down from his eyes that made her feel uncertain.

"Why are you staring at me like that ? Whatever I did was for your well-being." Kaikeyi said.

But the way Bharat looked at her, made her have second thoughts about her actions.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

*Jumps up and down* Bhailo bagdio ! Bhailo bagdio !
(Bro lost it ! Bro lost it !)

Bharat Bhaiya (vedvaani) ka dimag satka !