CHAPTER 49

Nisadh-raj Guha called upon a boatman to help Shri Ram, Janki and Laxman cross the river. The kevat came, keeping his boat a little away from the shore and jumping to the land.

"Pranam Prabhu Ram, Pranam Janki Maiya, Pranam Lakhan bhaiya !" The Kevat greeted. The three smiled at him.

"Kevat bhaiya, why don't you pull you boat to the shore ? So Sita can sit easily on it." Shri Ram requested.

"Wah Prabhu ! You don't let the boats of others drown even in whirlpool and you want to drown my boat at the shore only ?" The kevat said.

"What are you saying Kevat ?" Nisadh-raj Guha frowned.

"Nisadh-raj, the feet of Prabhu is miraculous. From its divine touch, a stone became a beautiful woman ! What if my boat made out of wood becomes a beautiful woman ? I'll be broke ! If I don't have my boat then how  will I feed my family ?" The kevat asked.

Shri Ram and Janki couldn't help but smile at his innocent words, while Laxman and Nisadh-raj kept frowning.

"So you won't take us to the other side ?" Laxman asked.

"I will lakhan bhaiya, but only on one condition." The Kevat said.

"Kevat ? Have you become so big that you will put conditions in front of Prabhu !?" Nisadh-raj asked.

"Prabhu, if you have to sit in my boat then you have to accept my condition." The Kevat said adamantly.

"What is the condition ?" Shri Ram asked smiling.

"Prabhu, first I will wash your feet and drink that charanamrit. Then I will see if I am fine only then you may sit. Lakhan bhaiya can pierce me with his arrows but till I don't test you feet, I won't let you sit." Kevat said.

Laxman and Nisadh-raj smiled at his condition as Shri Ram nodded agreeing. The kevat then brought a plate and a pot of water from his boat as Shri Ram sat down on a rock.

The kevat came and knelt in front of him, and began washing the lotus feet of Shri Ram. The feet from which the Ganga had flown, were being washed by her water only.

Janki smiles at the cleverness of the kevat who just wanted an excuse to wash the feet of Shri Ram and drink it, because whosoever touched those divine feet shall be granted eternal bliss and salvation.

After washing those pure feet of Shri Ram Kevat dries it with his cloth and then drinks the water which had now become the charanamrit of god.

The kevat then went to his boat and pulled it closer to the shore.

"Prabhu now you may sit on my boat." The kevat bowed.

Shri Ram smiled at him and then along with Janki, Laxman and Nisadh-raj, he mounts on Kevat's boat which was blessed by the touch of divine feet of Shri Ram, Devi Sita and Laxman.

The Kevat starts rowing his boat while singing praises of Shri Ram and how he was blessed today by washing his feet, drinking that holy water and taking him across the river.

When they reach the otherside, Shri Ram was so overwhelmed by his devotion by ironically he had nothing to give him. He had foresaken everything at the palace.

Shri Ram hopefully looked at Janki, his Laxmi with whose grace he is able to take care of all the universes. Janki smiled at Shri Ram, understanding what he wanted.

She removed one of her rings and then gave it to him, Shri Ram gratefully smiled at her and then gave offered that ring to the Kevat, but the boatman denied.

"Prabhu, a barber doesn't charge another barber, a washerman doesn't charge another washerman. Then how can I ? You take everyone across the river of material miseries, you too are a boatman. Then how can I charge you ? I'll only take what's beneficial, make me the servant of these feet." The kevat said.

He touched the feet of Shri Ram and Janki. Then he looked up at them with joined hands.

"Ram Siya Ram Siya Ram !" The Kevat chanted.

Listening to that Janki felt eternal bliss, as similiar chants ringed in her ears.

"SIYAVAR RAMCHANDRA KI JAI ! SIYAPATI RAMCHANDRA KI !"

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Jo sabki Naiya paar lagate hai, aaj kevat ne unki naiya ko paar lagaya, Dhanya ho Kevat bhaiya 🙏