Chapter 10 - In Defence of the Heir

Start from the beginning

Tom blinked as the letter lifted itself from his hands, formed into the shape of a face, and began to read its own message:

To the household of Merope Gaunt and Tom Riddle,

Another bit of magic has been detected at these premises less than twenty-four hours from the first occurrence. The Ministry has not received any correspondence from an adult witch or wizard that stated they were responsible for the occurrence earlier today, therefore, it is the Ministry's procedure to hold a formal questioning to inquire about the caster of the magic involved. At the time of this letter, it is noted that Merope Gaunt, Tom Riddle, and Harriet Potter are currently inside the home. Those named in this message are required to report to the Ministry, room A12, at 10:30 am seven days from now.

Hoping you are well,

Mafalda Hopkirk, Office of Improper Use of Magic

Merope gaped at Tom.

Tom glanced from his mother to Harriet while Asherah slithered down the hallway, much slower than before as she carried her dinner in her belly.

"Tom........" Harriet whispered.

"Darling!......They're going to expel you!" Merope cried.

—————————————————————

On the Friday before classes at Hogwarts resumed, Tom Riddle walked through the Ministry of Magic with his mother and Harriet.

Harriet and Tom were in awe of magical Britain's government headquarters as they walked through the lacquered hallways, filled with people who bustled to and fro.

Tom protectively held Harriet's hand.

A calm grin danced across his lips.

He wasn't nervous about the questioning.

He would return to school, no matter what he had to say or do.

Merope had sacrificed too much for him to be denied a diploma.

Besides his mother's efforts, Tom knew he needed an education.

He wanted to learn, to finish building his connections, to ponder how he may gain more power and influence.......

As the trio passed by the main hallway where the Minister's office could be seen, Tom looked up at the engraved glass of the window with a greedy smirk.

One day, he knew that office would belong to him.

He would dress in fine robes and be the most respected wizard in magical Britain.

His mother would look after his sons and daughters during the day until his meetings concluded.

In the evenings, after he enjoyed a private hour with Harriet, who would be waiting for him nude, on his desk, he would go and visit with his little ones.....the living products of his love for his  darling.

Tom felt Harriet squeeze his hand as they stepped into room A12.

Merope and Harriet were nervous, but Tom had already become bored.

He and Harriet could have played a game of chess that morning.

He saw the questioning as little more than a grand waste of his time.

—————————————————————

A few moments later, Tom, Merope, and Harriet sat across from an older, blonde witch, who blinked at them while her painted lips twisted into a disapproving frown.