eighty-eight

They left the room and went back to the hallway where they had come from. Jisung gulped, his gaze darting from left to right. The deafening silence of the orphanage made him uncomfortable.

He felt the urge to fill this silence with his voice, to make everything less terrifying, but he was reluctant to speak since he didn't want to alert any dangerous beings to them. "Minho," he whispered.

"What?"

"I'm scared," he said quietly. "If we make if out of here, we... we should do something fun. Go on another date maybe."

A tiny smile found its way on Minho's lips. "Okay," he answered before he sighed sarcastically, "it's just you and me alone right now with nobody to interrupt us. Imagine the things we could do..."

"What do you mean?"

"You can't be that clueless," he snorted. "I could take off your clothes, and we could have some fun. Did you think that I forgot about what you promised me in the nightclub?"

"You malicious demon. I can't believe you're talking about sex when we're in the middle of a dangerous situation."

"I can talk about sex whenever I want," he said stubbornly. "But, you know, doing it is more fun than talking about it," he chuckled lowly while they continued on, exploring more of the dark hallway. 

"Oh Minho, you sure are something else..." He sighed.

"I'm just honest."

"Very honest, yes."

They were interrupted by another strange sound; a monotonous noise that originated from the darkness in front of them. It could have been a piece of metal hitting a stone, Jisung didn't know for sure.

Minho quickly stepped in front of him to shield him from whatever was approaching them. He used his magic, brightening up the hallway. Curling a hand, he made a silver dagger appear right out of thin air.

"Who's there?" He called into the shadows, his deep voice rumbling through the hallway like thunder. At first, they didn't hear a sound. Silence was the only answer they received.

"Show yourself, coward!" He spat enragedly. The light he radiated abruptly changed into a red hue. He took one step forward and the strange sound paused, and then it grew quieter as if it was moving away from them.

Minho clicked his tongue, cursing under his breath. He threw a glance over his shoulder to look at Jisung, contemplating for a moment before he reached a decision.

"We need to follow that sound. The sooner we find who's lurking around here, the better," he said firmly. 

Letting out a breath, Jisung braced himself because he knew that Minho was right. They couldn't stay confined in this building forever.

Gathering his courage, he nodded. "Okay. Let's do it." And then they began their pursuit.

Minho kept his dagger in one hand and held Jisung with his other, assuring they wouldn't get separated. His light flooded the hallway and they rounded a corner where the noise became louder.

Minho picked up his pace since he didn't want to lose the only lead they had. They rushed past the old and dirty walls of the hallways. Just then, the clanking suddenly stopped. Whatever was responsible for it must be waiting for them...

They reached a wide-open doorway leading into a dark hall. Minho shot Jisung another look, making sure he stayed close, and they walked into the room together.

Minho's body was tense, ready to fight, and his scarlet eyes scanned over the area quickly. The darkness was dispersed by his shimmering magic. Who they encountered in the middle of the hallway was not who they had expected.

The person that awaited them was not a blood mage nor was it a creepy monster. It was a man, looking at them with a welcoming smile.

To be continued...