Chapter 42

"It's not too late to back out." Kami pleaded.

"I'm not backing out of shit, dunce face."

"Bakubro, we don't want you to get hurt."

"Katsuki, please see sense. Fighting won't solve anything!"

Our words fell on deaf ears. Once Katsuki was set on something, All Might himself couldn't change his mind.

The others trailed into the clearing. As he walked over, Todoroki threw his jacket off in one smooth movement.

"Are you ready to atone for your sins?" He asked, his voice cold enough to send goosebumps running over my skin. A hand took mine, bringing a little warmth back into my body.

"I need to do this." Katsuki muttered. Our eyes met. He wasn't angry. He was in pain.

"I can't support either of you in this." I replied. He gave me a curt nod.

I joined the others at the side of the grass as the two boys faced each other.

Todoroki was full of rage.

Katsuki looked... numb...

For a few seconds, nobody moved. Then, Katsuki plastered on his signature grin, his eyes glinting dangerously.

"Atone me then, you half and half bastard!"

He charged, explosions propelling his frame forward.

From then on out, it was all a blur of fists hitting ice and explosions lighting up the sky.

The rest of the class had come out in cliques, each wanting to know what the commotion was about.

I sucked in a breath as Todoroki took an explosive fist to the chest, skidding back into a wall of ice he made.

The pair were both panting heavily and covered in soot, ice, sweat, and injuries. Todoroki coated himself in flames to combat the chill of his quirk. Katsuki held his wrist tightly.

"Come at me with all you've got, Icy Hot! No holding back!" Katsuki provoked him from afar, his spirit still unbroken. Todoroki grit his teeth, pushing himself off of the melting wall and preparing for his next move. In one fluid move, a huge wall shot up towards Katsuki. Ice bits glimmered in the air and the breaths of 18 bystanders fogged the air.

"How's that for holding back?" His words came out in a cloud. A few of the class were shivering by now.

"God... DAMMIT!" A shrill scream cut through the air. The ice shard started crumbling and breaking. It collapsed into itself. My breath caught in my throat.

"Katsuki!" I yelled. Ice particles and dust dimmed my sight as a panicked feeling clawed at my chest. Was he injured?

A blonde head came shooting out of the mist, his sights set on one person and one person only.

"DIE!"

A bright light burnt at my senses. It filled the clearing easily, biting at the surrounding trees and sending smoke rising far above the leaves. Even the thick ice shield that had been hastily constructed was demolished, broken in a mere second and melted before it could hit the charred grass. Todoroki held his arms across his face as he went hurtling backwards, hitting the ground with a dull thud. Midoriya's shoulders shook in my peripheral.

"Stop it! Before one of you is seriously hurt!"

"I'm doing this for you, Izuku."

"That's worse!" He shrieked. But the bi-coloured boy simply picked himself up and allowed his flames to engulf his body once more. He was only putting his weight on one leg.