Chapter 37

Clap.

Clap.

Clap.

The silent class turned to look at the source of the slow applause. Father was standing in the doorway, casually leaning up against the frame. He had a smile on his face.

"Very inspiring. A very good answer. Though you couldn't have done it without giving your poor uncle a heart attack?" I looked over to Toshi who looked quite pale. The burst of adrenaline wore off and I felt my cheeks heat up.

"I-I'm so sorry Uncle! I didn't mean to be so-" I started bowing, bobbing up and down like a drinking bird.

"Don't be silly. Your passion is refreshing. Just try to direct that... not in the middle of class." He gave a nervous chuckle but waved his hand at me dismissively.

"Anyway," Father walked over to the desk to properly address the class. "We've decided to give you a short day today to apologise for the disruption these sudden meetings have caused. You are free to go back to the dorms now." Everyone scrambled to pack up their books as quickly as they could as ecstatic energy filled the class. Kat walked off before anyone could catch up to him. Maybe he was annoyed about me snapping at him. As I went to run after him and apologise, Father stopped me.

"Hinami. Me and your dad need to discuss something with you."

"But Kat-"

"Your boyfriend can wait." I gingerly sat on the desk opposite him. We sat in silence. After a few moments, Dad burst in the door.

"Hello! Sorry about the wait." He panted. "Have you had a nice day sweetie?" I nodded. Something felt very off.

"So... About what we need to discuss with you." Father started. "It's..." He trailed off, struggling to find the words. He looked towards Dad.

"Well, you see..." I just looked at them expectantly. They glanced at each other again but made no attempt to carry on talking. Sighing heavily, I started standing up.

"What is it? If you can't tell me now, just tell me later because-"

"Zap is missing!" Dad blurted out. I froze.

"He left the police station without anybody knowing and now nobody can find him. It's possible that he's working with the League of Villains."

"He's been missing for four days..."

"Yes. But-"

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I yelled, fear gripping my chest. "I was out all day yesterday! What if something happened to my friends because of me!"

"Sweetie-"

"Don't!" I slapped Dad's reaching hand away from me.

"Hinami," Father tried. "We didn't want to worry you."

"He tried to kill me! Of course I'd be worried!" He took a deep breath.

"That's completely understandable. But in UA, there's high security, teachers and pro-heroes everywhere. You'll be completely safe here."

"I was stolen from UA! From you!" He recoiled slightly. ""I was taken from right under your nose." My voice was bordering on shrill in my panicked state.

"Honey-" Dad put a hand on Father's shoulder.

"How is UA supposed to protect me when I can't even rely on my own parents to protect me?" I spat. They both visibly tensed up. The sharp feeling bubbling unpleasantly in my stomach left a sour taste in my mouth.

"That's not fair, Hinami." Father said, his quiet voice breaking slightly.

What had I done? I couldn't believe that I had just said that. I hadn't meant it. It just slipped out before I could stop it! I didn't mean it! My eyes stung looking at their hurt expressions. Zap was right. I'll just hurt everyone around me, whether I mean to or not.