Chapter 23

I don't think I've ever been happier to wake up and realise that it was the weeked. When I sat up and realised that Ramen wasn't curled up next to me as he usually was, I was struck with a strange heavy sadness. I got up and looked in the mirror. My skin had little red dots over it from the broken capillaries, and my eyes still looked bloodshot. Other than that, and the dark bruises, I looked a bit better than before. After throwing on Shig's jumper and going into the kitchen, I saw my parents and two other people deep in conversation. I decided to peek around the door and eavesdrop.

The two strangers were a tall, skinny man with yellow-blonde hair, and a muscular woman with a blob of flaming red hair piled up on the top of her head and a face full of freckles. They looked around the same age as my parents, maybe a little younger.

"I don't know." The man shrugged. "Those were some of the best times of my life. But this is a different situation."

"The times are completely different, and none of us had to deal with the shit that your kids are gonna have to deal with." The woman added.

"If they get hurt, it's on us..."

"Hinami already got hurt!" Father sighed. Narrowing my eyes, I listened harder.

"But in dorms, they'd be surrounded by each other."

"Dorms?" I asked, stepping into the light. "We're getting dorms?"

"Maybe."

"No." My dads answered in unison before looking over to each other.

"I want to live with my friends."

"Hinami, don't be rude. Say hello to our guests." Father brushed me off, gesturing to the man and woman.

"Yeah, hi you two. Anyway-"

"Hinami!" Dad shook his head fondly as the woman giggled.

"Hi, I'm Hinami, pleasure to meet you." I groaned.

"A pleasure. I'm Imari Hei. This is my husband, Daniel Hei. We work with Hizashi." I froze.

"You're heroes?"

"Yeah we are!" Mr Hei laughed. I gave a tight-lipped smile.

"I just remembered that I - uh - have a thing to do, so bye!" I practically sprinted out of the room, Dad calling after me.

They're heroes. But are they actually? What if they work with Zap? Can I trust them? Should my parents trust them?

I tried to shake the unpleasant thoughts out of my head, gently brushing my fingers against the bruises on my neck. My parents are heroes. I trust them.

Mostly...

Would they even believe me? I mean, it sounds ridiculous. A veteran pro-hero trying to kill a kid... Yeah. I'd get laughed at. Or checked into a mental hospital. Even if they won't believe me, I know someone who definitely will.

"What the fuck do you want?"

"Katsuki, I need to see you."

"What?" Katsuki had sounded like his regular grumpy self when he answered the phone, which was a relief.

"You heard me. Meet me at our junction?" I pleaded.

"Our junction?" He scoffed. "Ten minutes." Then the line went dead.

I threw on a pair of jeans and a loose top before creeping out of the house. I didn't want any questions.

"You're fucking late, moron."

"I know, I know. Shut up." I panted, having jogged to the spot, leaning over to catch my breath.

"Are you seriously out of breath? Ha, that's- Your neck." He stopped short and peered at me intensely with an unreadable expression when I stood up straight.