Chapter 9

I stretched my body out and opened my eyes groggily before smiling. It's Friday! The week had shot by. It felt as though I hadn't made the best progress. But I was having fun doing it! Each time I practiced Shatter, I'd gotten closer and closer to my end goal. In fact, tiny little cracks would appear sometimes. Then, after lunch, I'd mirror Father's quirk and we'd race to erase each other's quirks first. We ended the day on some quirkless sparring. My parents both seemed pretty pleased with how I'd been doing. So I guess I should be happy too!

Things had been pretty awkward between me and Katsu. And I'm not entirely sure why. I know that I fell asleep in his room and he put me to bed. But after that night, after me stupidly thinking that I had made some sort of breakthrough and gotten closer to him, he pushed me away and treated me even colder than he did before. We're meant to be cooking together tonight. How fun...

"Morning, Hinami! Sleep well?"

"Yup. What about you?"

"Like a baby!" Mina grinned, running conditioner and a brush through her wild pink hair. She had a crazy hair care routine.

The rest of the day went pretty normally. We had our morning jog, ate breakfast together - Katsuki was still making me food every morning despite his sudden standoffish behaviour - then trained.

"Ready, young Hinami?" My Uncle boomed.

"You got it." I took my stance and prepared my quirk. Today felt different, and I had a good feeling. "Shatter!"

My Uncle's outline sharpened for a second, before cracks swept over his figure. He didn't shatter completely, but it was a step in a very good direction. Now to get him back. I flicked the mirror upwards, so that he was no longer in the frame, and the effect subdued slightly. Toshi attempted to move, but it only made the cracks worse, a gross crushing sound coming from his joints. I didn't miss his wince. With a small smile, Father activated his own quirk and Uncle went back to normal.

"That was good."

"Brilliant! What progress you've made! And you were right; it doesn't hurt one bit."

"Are you just saying that?"

"Of course not! I'm almost offended you'd say such a thing. It's an odd sensation, but not a painful one at all." I breathed a sigh of relief. If it was hurting him, I wouldn't want to use him as a guinea pig anymore. I wouldn't be able to practice on anyone. Morally, anyway.

"Do you reckon you could do it again?" Father asked, throwing back his head and putting in some eye drops. It had been a long couple of days for him and his quirk. He called it 'good practice for him too'.

"You bet!"

We tried the move a few more times, each time with similar results. The cracks had been getting smaller each time as I tried to put my uncle back to normal, but I hadn't managed to completely reverse the effects yet.

"Just one more try, and I think I'll have it." I pleaded with them as my Uncle practically dragged me in to have lunch.

"You've gone from cursing Aizawa for making us have morning jogs, to being forced into stopping your training. I feel like we should be proud of your progress." Kiri chuckled as I sat down, a sullen look on my face.

"I was just getting the hang of it! I was so close! I feel like by the time I come back after lunch, I'll have lost my streak, or forgotten how to do it, or something like that..."

"What makes you think that? You've had no problems so far today. It feels like you're purposely thinking of ways you could fuck up." Katsuki grunted as he sat next to me.