Chapter 18

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, unprepared for my final moments.

There were so many things I wanted to do. So many things I wanted to say.

"I am here!"

I opened my eyes. The monster and I looked at each other for a moment, bewildered, then looked over to the doors in unison. There stood Toshi in all of his grandiose glory.

"Put my niece down, you fiend." It raised me higher before slamming me down like a child throwing a tantrum. As soon as I landed, my vision blurred and my ears started ringing violently. I willed myself to stand up, but my exhausted limbs wouldn't comply. Gentle hands picked me up. When I was propped upright, my vision cleared and the ringing subsided.

"Uncle-"

"Shh. Are you okay?"

"Okay?" I pffted, my words slurring together. "Honestly, I could carry on for another solid hour."

"Can you walk?"

"Seems so."

"The others are in the shack outside. Run to them."

"But-"

"You've already done more than enough, little one." I nodded and started running, concentrating on not tripping over my own feet. When I looked over my shoulder, Toshi and the monster were already squaring up.

"Good luck." I whispered, before leaving the building.

I opened the door to the shack-like building that the rest of the class was in, just a crack. When I peered in, I could see that almost everyone was crowded in the middle, deep into a worried discussion. Yaomomo, Jiro, Tenya, and Ochaco were tending to the teachers as best they could. Katsuki was pacing. When I opened the door fully and stepped inside, everyone stopped and looked at me.

Mido was the first to get to me. He threw his arms around me. Ochaco copied, and Todo gingerly joined in. Tenya then wrapped his large arms around all of us.

"Get off! It's my turn now!" Mina said, pulling me into a bone crushing hug as soon as the others let me go. Kiri, Sero and Kami joined in, Kami sniffing.

"Kaminari, were you crying?"

"No." He replied thickly. "Well, maybe just a little." I wriggled my arm up and put my hand awkwardly on the nape of his neck in an attempt to hug him back.

"We thought the worst..." Kiri trailed off as they one-by-one let go.

"Ha! You're not getting rid of me that easily! It'll take more than that to-" I stopped short. Me and Katsuki locked eyes. He was pale. He ran over to me and swept me up in a sweet hug. I flung my arms over his shoulders, pushing his body even closer to mine as I nuzzled into the warmth of the crook of his neck. I took a deep inhale, then exhaled heavily, letting my body relax and my heart beat return to normal. Without the adrenaline supporting me, my knees buckled. But Katsuki didn't let me fall. In fact, he picked me up bridal style and brought me over to the makeshift medical bay.

Yaomomo examined me. My mouth had stopped bleeding but my jaw was still smarting. My shoulder had a stabbing pain going through it. Most of my body was stiff and aching. She ordered me to lay on my front so that she could clean my wounds on my back.

"Did you hit your head?" Tenya asked me, moving one finger around in front of my face.

"Yes."

"Then try not to go to sleep. Just in case of a concussion."

"I don't feel tired." I lied. Kami carefully picked up my hand and held it. I closed my heavy eyes and squeezed his hand.

"We were all panicking about what was going to happen next and I think I almost threw up or passed out a few times." I gave a closed mouth chuckle before hissing in pain as a liquid stung my wound. Yaomomo apologised but kept going. He leant forward and his hair tickled my cheek. "Bakugo was really worried about you. He was going to go and join you when you didn't come back for like ten minutes. It took Yaomomo and Tsu threatening him to get him to stay."