Chapter 38.5

Katsuki Bakugo's POV -

I kept my hand wrapped firmly around Hinami's smaller one. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her looking backwards. That weird liquid stuff was at that teacher chick's shoulders. The slime monster attack flashed through my mind. I shook it away. I need to be strong. For Hinami.

"Dad!" She stopped, a distraught look on her face. The Nomu had caught her parents.

"Just go!" Yamada's brow was furrowed. He was so busy thinking about Aizawa and Hinami that he didn't realise that he had grabbed the slime on Aizawa and it was now crawling up his arms as well as his legs. I knew that I had to get us out of there, especially when I saw tears rolling down her cheeks yet again. My heart tightened. I was sick of seeing her cry.

"Hinami! The best thing you can do is get to safety! Don't be one more thing for them to worry about!

"I need to help them!" I wanted to tell her that I felt the same. It hurts to see the people you hold so highly struggling. But instead, I just kept my grip on her firm. 'I need to be strong for her' I repeated in my mind.

"Hinami, I swear if you don't-" She wasn't even listening. I bit my lip, considering my options before putting her on my shoulder and trudging after the rest of the class. Usually, it wouldn't be a problem for me to carry her. Even if she wasn't pretty light, I'd keep her in my arms until we reached the end of the universe. But now, she kicked out, trying to writhe against my hold, screaming as we went.

"No! Let go! Get off of me! I need to go back! I can't-" She sobbed. Her anguish broke my heart. "I can't leave it like that! I have to tell them! I have to say I'm sorry!" Now it makes sense.

"They already know!"

"I have to tell them." Whatever the argument they had was about, it must have been pretty bad... I exhaled sharply and tried to ignore her fighting.

We made it away from the city, and Hinami had stopped thrashing about at some point. I half thought she had worn herself out so much that she had fallen asleep. My arm was dead from having her on my shoulder and my legs and back ached with every step. But I didn't complain.

"We're almost at the forest. Can you be trusted to walk now?" I tried to make a joke, but my low voice just sounded annoyed. She simply hummed, her throat probably sore. Once her feet were firmly back on the ground, I put her warm hand back in mine and, upon seeing her sad, far away expression, I kissed her still slightly damp cheek. As selfish as it may sound, I couldn't help but keep kissing her every time I saw her. I mean, she probably enjoyed it as much as I did anyway. But this time, she didn't even acknowledge it.

"They love you, y'know? And they know how sorry you are." She nodded. I wanted to add onto the statement, but Ponytail cut me off with some speech about going to that cabin we were at before and getting there before dark. Class Rep fired up his quirk and ran off without us.

After checking everyone was ready to go, Ponytail started walking again. We followed behind Pikachu and Flat Face in silence, keeping our fingers tightly laced. Every time Hinami glanced behind us, looking for her family, it felt like I was being stabbed.

The sun was setting a golden orange behind the cabins by the time we got there. It seemed that everyone was exhausted. Ponytail broke us into groups to make sure everything was safe, and everyone wanted me and Hinami to cook. Probably because they remembered how awesome we were last time.

It was a strange feeling; being back in the kitchen. I cringed at my past behaviour. At least I had gotten over my embarrassment and was trying to embrace my feelings as well as I could. Every time I glanced over at Hinami's slightly more peaceful face, something tugged at my chest. As I put the freshly shelled peas into the curry sauce, I considered giving her a nickname. She has one for everyone after all, and it would be a good next step for me to show her my affections.