Storming Bowser's Castle

After saving all seven Star Spirits, the band of heroes set off for Bowser's Castle. The fate of the Stars and wishes were at hand. Could Mario, Luigi, and friends take back the Star Rod? Only time would tell as the curtain rose on the final act.

Upon arrival, Mario and Co. jumped out and went for the entrance to Bowser's castle.

"Alright, is everyone ready?" Mario asked the group.

"We sure are," said Goombario.

"Though, I am unsure what will happen," Watt admitted.

"Watt. For a Li'l Sparky, you're very brave to make it this far," Mario assured.

"Mario's right, Watt," Luigi added, "We'll be there for each other. No matter what happens."

Without a moment to lose, the decuplet headed to the front door of Bowser's Castle. But the door was locked, so they had to find the key. Going into a nearby doorway, they found a Koopatrol holding a key. Defeating it wasn't an issue, as Watt Power Shocked him before he could turn around, Sushie then Belly Flop, making him drop the key.

"I sure hope we find Toadsworth," said Mario, "He'll be relieved to know we're alive."

"Uh, guys, I think we found whoever Toadsworth is," Bombette called out looking through the bars of a prison cell.

"Well, I'll be!" Toadsworth cheered, "It's the Mario Bros.! And their new companions!"

"They're the Children of the Stars, Toadsworth," Luigi said, "And don't worry, we'll get you out of there!"

"I didn't see a prison key on that Kooaptrol," Lakilester searched the Koopatrol's pockets again, "What do we do now?"

"Hang on, I can blow up the bars!" Bombette declared, "Just like at Koopa Bros. Fortress!"

"But Bombette, that was only possible because there was a crack in the wall," Kooper reminded.

"True. But if I can channel a bigger explosion, it might do the trick."

Bombette began to light her fuse as she walked to the prison bars.

"Everyone, step back!" she shouted before exploding.

To everyone's surprise, the bigger explosion Bombette made was enough to break the bars down. Toadsworth and three other Toads quickly ran out.

"Jolly good, Masters Mario and Luigi!" said Toadsworth.

"Thanks, there's a Star Cruiser at the docks. Take that, to get to Star Haven," Mario instructed.

Toadsworth thanked them for the rescue and he and the Toads went to the dock to board the Star Cruiser. The decuplet went to the front door of the castle and unlocked the door.

Down the halls, Mario and Co. fought more Koopatrols and Hammer Bros. The heroes fought to the best of their ability and pushed onward. Soon, they came across a big door with Bowser's face on it.

"That's... kinda creepy," Luigi murmured.

"What do we do here?" Bow wondered.

"Bloooaaaagggghhh! Welcome, you worms!" the door suddenly bellowed. Its voice was enough to make Mario and Co. jump back.

"D-did that door just... talk?" Parakarry said stunned.

"Yes, I did!" the door responded, "I'm called the Guard Door of Bowser's Castle. it's my job to keep suspicious guys from entering. You must be Mario, and his scardey-cat brother, Luigi."

"I'm not a scardey-cat!" Luigi yelled, "I've been through a good bit without my bro on this adventure!"

"Uh-huh, sure..." the Guard Door said, "Let me guess... you want to go through here, hmm? And get to the other side of this wall, right?"

"Yes, we do," Sushie replied.

"O.k., then... Heh heh heh... Stand in front of me."

Mario and Co. did just that and stood in front of the Guard Door. But then something felt familiar to Mario and Luigi.

"Uh-oh," Mario and Luigi said, "Guys! We need to move! This is a trap!"

But they were too late as the trap door released and dropped our heroes down into an empty dungeon.

"Ha ha! Suckers!" the Guard Door laughed.

The decuplet ended up falling into another dungeon that was separate from the one Toadsworth was in. Fortunately, there was a crack in one of the walls that Bombette took care of.

"That was easier than the walls at Koopa Bros. Fortress," she said.

"I wonder if these walls are less sturdy?" Luigi wondered.

Luigi brushed it aside as the heroes worked their way back to the Guard Door. In the next room, it was filled with lava with blue switches on pedestals surrounded by the lava. Lakilester flew over to them and threw a Spiny Egg to activate them. This created platforms allowing Mario and Co. to cross the lava safely. Eventually, the rest of the way, Lakilester made some extra clouds for the ones that can't fly to use.

After the clouds wore off, the heroes discovered where the lava was coming from. There was an artificial lava fall flowing through the moat. Taking care of a Magikoopa and three Koopatrols, Mario hit the switch making the lava cool off and harden.

"The lava, um, got all hard," Watt said, "We can walk on it now, huh? Can't we?"

"Yep, that's right, Watt!" Mario said.

"I'll be ready if I need to cool some parts off," Sushie said.

Mario and Co. walked across the hardened lava and found a castle key. They used it to unlock a door they couldn't reach before due to the lava. But once they entered the door, everything was pitch black.

"Wow... It feels darker than before," Watt said.

She emitted herself brighter so they could see the path ahead. Along the way, they battled some Bony Beetles that tried to attack Watt. Parakarry also had to help carry some of them across wide gaps. To say the least, the darkness was starting to get them paranoid.

"How further are we in this cave?" Luigi asked Mario.

"I feel like we're getting close," Mario answered, "Though I can't shake the feeling something big's gonna happen."

"Like what?" said Parakarry.

"I don't know. Like a boss, an ambush, or even a trap."

At that moment, the cave started to crumble and the path behind them started to break. Mario and Co. hurried to the light at the exit as the floor crumbled faster. They made it out just as a boulder fell on the doorway.

"Is... everyone... alright?" Mario asked catching his breath.

"Tired out... but ok," Goombario responded.

"Wait, where's Watt, Sushie, and Lakilester?!" Bow asked worriedly.

Mario and Luigi began to look around, but quickly realize that they were stuck in the cave. Mario tried to push the boulder. Bombette even try to blow up the rock, but couldn't.

"N-no... they c-can't..." Mario stuttered.

"Mario, I'm sure they're alive," Luigi tried to assure him.

"But how could they survive something like that?" Kooper asked.

"Lakilester and Watt can fly. Not to mention, Lakilester can make a cloud for Sushie," Luigi explained.

"And if Lakilester used to work for Bowser, he might be able to help find the way out," Goombario added.

"I guess you're right," Mario said still feeling guilty for jinxing the boulder.

The septet marched onward, for their lost friends. Catching the Guard Door off guard, they made it through in hope of saving more of the guests Bowser has captured from the Mushroom Jubilee.

****************************************

End of chapter!