Dark Days in Flower Fields

The recent trials on Lavalava Island proved that Bowser's forces were getting stronger. But so were our heroes. Hope was still in sight: two Star Spirits and one Child of the Stars remained. Could they save the Star Rod in time before Bowser did more dastardly wishes? Mario and Luigi and Co. ventured to the land of Flower Fields to find out.

Coming out the other end, Mario and Co. stumbled upon a field with yellow and pink flowers and multiple paths. In the center was a giant tree with big eyes near the blue-green canopy. The door leading back to Toad Town served at its mouth.

"What ho...? Now, who might that be?" the tree said in an elderly voice.

"We're... Wait who said that?" Mario wondered aloud.

"Ho ho ho ho! Up here fellas!" the tree replied.

The nonad looked up and saw they came out of a tree from Toad Town to Flower Fields.

"Who... are you?" Luigi asked hesitantly.

"They call me Wise Wisterwood," the tree introduced, "I am the oldest tree here in Flower Fields, the land of trees, flowers, grasses, and plants. And you two must be Mario and Luigi. I've heard a lot about you two."

"Such as saving the Star Spirits and finding the Children of the Stars?" Mario asked.

"Certainly. If that is true, then your arrival means a Star Spirit is here in our land, and possibly a Child of the Stars."

"Does that mean you can help us?" Watt asked.

"I'd love to help on your quest, but alas, I cannot right now. Flower Fields is in trouble," Wise Wisterwood replied.

"A creature named Huff N. Puff and his followers invaded our fair land not long ago. These creatures brought clouds to our sunny sky. It has been cloudy ever since. The sun doesn't bother to shine anymore. We are all weak and fading..."

After Wise Wisterwood finished his explanation, the nonad looked into the cloudy gray sky. They couldn't see a single ray of light.

"That can't be good," said Goombario, "Wasn't Flower Fields always sunny? I know they need some water, but sunlight is important too."

"It was until now," Wise Wisterwood said, "Oh! I remember something! Rumor has it, that Huff N. Puff is holding someone captive, it must be the Star Spirit you're searching for!"

"That's why we're here, Wisterwood," said Parakarry.

"We'll even defeat Huff N. Puff, to bring back the sunny sky to Flower Fields!" Bombette added.

"Well, that would make the wishes of Flower Fields come true," Wise Wisterwood said, "But it won't be an easy task. Huff N. Puff is up in the sky, on what we call the Cloudy Climb. There's no way up there now."

"Can't we get up there by growing a magic beanstalk?" Bow questioned.

"Now that you mention that... there IS a flower that has a Magical Bean... somewhere," Wise Wisterwood recalled, "I believe her name is Petunia. Perhaps she's off to the east. It wouldn't hurt to go visit her and ask about it. The other flowers and Bub-ulbs around here might have some useful information, as well. I'd say talk to everyone!"

"Thanks, Wisterwood," Mario said.

With that, Mario and Co. headed to the east part of Flower Fields to search for Petunia. The way to Petunia was also covered with foes like Crazee Dayzees that tried to put the heroes to sleep, and Bzzaps that tried to stun and poison them. Luckily, Misstar's 'Cleanse' was able to remove those side effects. Soon after, they came across a violet flower that was looking down and frowning.