"i don't remember," i shrug.

"stubborn?"

i beg your pardon?

"Alyssa what are you talking about, mane?"

"are you being stubborn and not telling me?"

i chuckle, "why does it matter? im breathing, am i not?"

"Alex, you could've died," she shouts softly, pointing a finger. "that matters, that fucking matters! if i was to come into this hospital and hear that you had died, i would've lost it, i told you this, Alexandra."

her voice was cold, straightforward.

"and here i am, Alyssa, i am here. is that enough?"

she pauses, taking a step back as she gathered her thoughts, "i-" she sighs, rubbing her hands through her hair, "i need you, Alex."

"are you saying that because i almost died or are you saying that because you genuinely need me?"

she sighs, eyeing me closely as she stepped closer, "i need you, Alexandra."

i nod, "i hear you, i do."

"has the doctor said anything? are you alright?"

i shrug, shaking my head, "they've cleared me for small foods but i honestly can hardly remember anything. i keep-well kept going in and out of consciousness. last thing i remember was someone shouting for me to wake up."

she cocks her brow, "do you remember who that someone was?"

i eye her, "not you."

she chuckles, running a hand over her face, "okay but whom? if you don't mind me asking."

"my mom," i sigh, feeling my eyes swell up with tears as i recall the moment.

"what do yo-"

before she could finish her sentence Ava walked in, "i got you apple sauce and a wa-Miss. Adams, what-what are you doing here?"

exactly.

"just checking up on Alex," she eyes me discreetly as her head hangs low. "i was uh-i was just leaving."

right?

"you're hurting her," Ava blurts, holding an angry expression. "you're really hurting her, Miss. Adams."

"Ava," i say which pulls her attention towards me. "its okay, please, let's not do this."

"man, whatever," Ava throws her hands up, walking back over to me. "have a good night, Miss. Adams, get home safely."

she nods, not bothering to conjure up a reply as she exits the room.

Ava sighs, helping me sit up as she opens the apple sauce, "you alright?"

i eye her, lifting my brow, "what? were you listening in on our conversation again?"

"maybe," she cocks her brow as she begins feeding me. "no but really Alex, are you okay?"

"im fine, im just in a few bits of pain," i shrug. "my back is killing me."

"i mean with Miss. Adams," she sets the food aside, flopping down in the chair. "i see the way you look at her, i see it all the time and i see how badly she hurts you, i hate it."

i sigh, sitting up but stopping midway as i groan in pain, "shit."

she sits her hands on my shoulder, pushing me down gently, "please relax, please."

i sigh once more, looking over out the window, "i think i love her, Ava."

"you do, i can honestly tell, and all she's doing is hurting you. like, i understand her job and the stakes of it all but-" she sighs, trying to gather her throughs. "i don't like seeing you in pain, Alexandra, ive seen you hurt since you were like four..it pains me. so badly."

"Ava," i reach for her hand, gripping it firmly.

she pulls her attention back up to me, her eyes meeting mine, "yes?"

"please stop holding my pain, please? let it go, let it all go," squeezing her hand, i watched her eyes swell up with tears. "you've done it enough and right now, i need you to let me go."

"Alexandra, no," her head fell into my lap, feeling overwhelmed with emotions, she couldn't help but cry. "i can't do that, i can't."

"yes you can," i place my hand gently behind her head, rubbing my fingers through her hair. "you have to let it go, Ava."

pulling her head up, our eyes met, "i love you, alright?"

i smile, nodding, "i love you, Ava."

•••

"today's your moms birthday, we've gotta surprise her!" dad shouted softly. "okay sh sh sh, she should be walking into the door anytime now."

dad and i were current at the office, hours were long so he pulled me here after school. i didn't mind, i got to spend time here, and to say the least, it was pleasant.

i enjoyed the small hours i got to spend here. i enjoyed the people as well.

"dad! she's coming! hurry!" i shout, running over to him. "where's her present?!"

"she-"

"Alex!" i heard someone shout but it was very faint. "hey! hey! Alex! i know you hear me, come on, wake up."

that's Ava's voice...

"she's losing a lot of blood," a nurse spoke in panic. "we need the room, would you mind giving us the room for a minute, please?"

"yes," Ava spoke, her voice breaking.

jumping up, i groaned in pain, scanning the room in panic as every pair of eyes landed on me.

"wh-what's going on? why am i in so much pain?" i groan, tossing and turning.

"you're bleeding," the doctor spoke. "well not anymore, we stitched you up a few seconds ago. how are you feeling?"

"well i did say im in pain," i eye her. "but bleeding from where?"

she points, "rib side."

i scrunch my brows, tilting my head, "why?"

she shrugs, "we haven't found out why exactly but as long as you're stable right now, you're fine, are you okay?"

i nod, "mhm, where's Ava? my dad?"

"Ava should be around somewhere," she eyes me, holding a file against her shoulder side. "but your dad called and said he's on the way."

"Alex!" i heard Ava's voice as she ran into the room. "oh my gosh, are you okay?"

i nod, "mhm, no more crying?" i cup her face, holding it gently as my thumb wiped her tears. "no more tears, no more crying, no more."

"ill try," she chuckles, smiling. "want your apple sauce? is she cleared to eat?"

the doctor nods, "you're totally fine, you can enjoy your foods, ill leave you two alone now."

Ava flops down next to me, cracking open the apple sauce as she takes the spoon, "say ahhh."

i chuckle, opening my mouth, "ah."

"i feel like your babysitter," she chuckles, spooning the sauce from the corners of my mouth. "you're an adorable kid though."

"why thank you," i smile, swallowing the food. "this is good-seeing i haven't eaten in almost two days, i don't know."

"are you asking for another one?"

"no, not really," i shake my head. "im not feeling it no way."

"you sure? i don't mind going back and grabbing a few more for you."

"no, im okay, let's watch a movie? if we can."

she chuckles, curling up in the chair, "that's if we can."