s2 e 19

it's been about a week since dad and i have been out of the hospital. he checked out before me and since then, he's been on my ass. i could barely get a word in about him, not one.

it's now winter break and Christmas was literally 3 days away. was i excited? kinda. i had been wrapping presents since yesterday, wasn't as tiring as i pictured it to be.

i stopped now and then, glancing at the wrapping paper, it was mom's favorite.

she always did her little bows, i tried but mine could never compare to hers. ever.

she always did it with such perfection and that always did make Christmas more special. it wasn't about the gifts, at least to me, it was about the love in the air. family.

i sighed softly as i took a quick scan over my bedroom, tossing that covers off of me. i dragged myself out of bed and off down the steps, noticing the bright lights from the living room.

turning the corner, i walked off into the living area and found my dad and Allen, finishing up the Christmas tree. cute.

"having fun?" i asked, leaning over the couch, watching them closely. "it looks amazing."

"you should be resting," dad says, pointing his finger at me.

"dad im okay, i promise," i frown, embracing him firmly. "please stop worrying about me, i promise im okay."

"ill never stop worrying about you, ever but for now, for now," he eyes me.

"that's good but dad," i glance at him. "im okay, im fine."

suddenly my dad's phone went off, ringing from inside his pocket. work, i bet.

"i have to take this, excuse me," he plants a kiss on my cheek in which i smile.

"work?" Allen questions.

"you know it," i chuckle. "he'd never stop, even if he physically had to. he'd still find ways to go."

"he needs to relax," he sighs, flopping down onto the couch. "he literally just got out of the hospital."

"dad never stops, he always keeps going, no matter what."

"you get it from him, i can tell," he eyes me.

"well yeah but," i peek over my shoulder at my dad, standing over by the front door. "i watched mom die, i cannot watch him kill himself. i won't go for it, Allen."

"i know, i know

i sigh, running my fingers through my hair, "where's Ava? have you seen her? she wasn't in the room when i woke up."

"uh no but last time i checked, dad said she was at her uncles."

"which? or he didn't say?"

"someone with the last name green," he shrugs. "that's all i was told."

i nod, standing, "bet, thank you."

"wait where are yo-"

"ill be back."

"but you just got out of the hospital! Alex!"

"ill be fine," i assure him before heading out of the door.

•••

"Christmas dinner?" Ava eyed me with her brow cocked. "would it be at your house or someone else's?"

"that'll be up to my dad," i shrug, pulling the keys from the engine. "im sure he's home, if he didn't go in for work, we can ask."

"shouldn't he be resting?"