𝙵𝙸𝙵𝚃𝚈 𝚃𝚆𝙾

𝙽𝚊𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚊'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

Scott and I stand with Stiles as he sits down on the large MRI machine used to scan brain patterns. I gently reach out and take one of the boy's shaky hands into my own, causing him to look up at me from his lap.

"I'm not sure I know how to pronounce this or if it's not actually a misspelling" The doctor says to the Sheriff and my mother.

"Just call him Stiles" Sheriff replies.

"Okay. Stiles, just to warn you, you're going to hear a lot of noise during the MRI. It's due to pulses of electricity going through metal coils inside the machine" The doctor explains to the Stilinski boy "Uh, if you want we can get you earplugs or headphones"

"Oh, no, no, I don't need anything" Stiles answers him, his hand slightly squeezing my own.

"Hey, we're just on the other side of that window. Okay?" Sheriff assures his son.

"Okay" Stiles nods.

Sheriff and my mom both give the boy a reassuring smile and Stiles pats his fathers back as they turn to exit the room with the doctor.

"I- I'll give you boys some space" I tells them, making a move to walk away but Stiles holds onto my hand tighter and tugs me back.

"You don't have to leave just yet" He objects.

I glance at Scott who is still looking down at his clasped hands with a sad expression on his face like he has been doing since we arrived here.

"You know what they're looking for, right?" Stiles says to his best friend.

Scott nods timidly and I nod too, allowing the pale boy to play with my fingers to distract himself.

"It's called frontotemporal dementia" Stiles explains "Areas of your brain start to shrink. It's what my mother had. It's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers"

"And there's no cure" He adds.

Scott quickly wipes a stray tear away in hopes that neither of us see it but we both do, sharing a sad frown.

"Stiles, if you have it, we'll do something" Scott assures the boy "I'll do something"

Stiles let's go of my hand and grabs my brother, pulling him into a warm embrace. I take a step back, watching the tender moment between the two boys that i've known my whole life with a worried sinking feeling in my chest.

They pull apart with tear stained cheeks and Scott pats Stiles' back encouragingly before walking to the exit without another word, leaving me alone with the Stilinski boy.

The boy opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off by throwing my arms around him and nuzzling my face into his neck. He's taken aback at first, but melts into me and wraps his arms around my body, grabbing fistfuls of my denim jacket.

"You're not alone, dork" I remind him.

"You know the stuff you were telling me about chemo signals earlier?" Scott speaks up from his seat opposite Derek and I "It reminded me of the time you were teaching me to use anger to control the shift"