Chapter 125: Nowhereness

Start from the beginning

Would they have done this to Mikan-Nee and I...? Oh, how it hurt when I realized that Onee-chan wasn't here to experience this. That's one of my wishes, for Mikan-nee to feel their hug.

'My baby.... Oh, my youngest.' I could feel mom's joy. Daddy's too. I could feel their tears leak onto my skin as our hearts joined as one. 'I didn't think I would ever hold either of you for a long time...' Daddy hugs me tighter.

Suddenly, Mama leans away and looks at me with a smile, tears streaking down her cheeks and leaving her eyes that looked like Mikan's. 'How I wished for this reunion... but it's not the right time. You shouldn't be here. Not now.' Mama keeps stroking my head.

'But I'm happy. I want to keep being held by you and Daddy...'

Now it was daddy who leaned away. He grabs my right hand in his as he stares at me, 'My little Akako. You didn't deserve to end up here like this. You've done so much...' He leans forward and places his forehead against mine while closing his eyes. I close mine as well, wanting to stay in this moment forever, 'You've done so well. You've worked hard, Akako. Everything's fine now.'

'Sensei...' I hear Mama call out and after a moment, Daddy hums in response. 'I know... I just wanted to hold her a little longer.' He grins towards mama before taking me into his arms in a tight embrace and he starts swinging me back and forth, 'I just can't believe both of my daughters are this cute!' I laugh as he does so, wishing that I would always have him by my side. He jerks to a stop, causing my body to fly to one side before going still and my mind swirls after the sudden halt, 'Oh! But those two boys, the two annoying ones are going to take my sweet daughters away! I can't have that! They need to stay away from boys their whole lives! I won't allow it!'

Mama snatches me away from Papa and places me on the ground once more. 'Ignore your father, Akako.' Mama turns to frown at him and I peek over her shoulder as he pouts at her words.

Another voice calls for me. I turn my head but once again, I don't see anyone. Being with Mama and Papa almost made me forget that I was in the nowhereness.

'You hear them too?' Mama places a hand on my shoulder. I turn back towards her, tilting my head. Who exactly was she referring to? Could she hear what I heard?

'I can, sweet girl. That's everyone calling for you.' Mama says. My eyes widen as I remember everyone back home. Mikan, Ruka, Natsume, and Hotaru... That's right. I promised Hotaru that I'd come back. I promised that I would return to everyone as long as they lead me back with their calls. There was definitely one that was the loudest of them all. Everyone's voices suddenly fill my head, everyone calling my name as they all talk about different things, all of their words becoming jumbled in my head.

'Everyone's waiting for you, my Akako.' Mama whispers. Daddy comes up behind her and places a hand on her shoulder, as though he were trying to comfort her. I want to return to everyone but at the same time... I don't want to leave Mama and Papa. I want to be selfish for once. I want to live in a world where They can live with Mikan-nee and I.

But I know that will never happen.

'Your sister is waiting for you.'

That's right. Mikan-nee is all alone right now. How could I ever think of leaving her alone? She's my twin and the person I love most in the world? If it's impossible for me to imagine life without her... how could I do the same to her? To my sister who has loved me and been with me since the moment we were born. I made a promise to her all those months ago, and I never want to break that promise. I want to stay by her side forever.

'That's right, Akako. Mikan feels the same way. She still believes in you, so don't give up.' Daddy smiles down at me as Mama stands up to be by his side. 'Go to your sister, Akako. Mama and Papa will always be here to watch over the both of you and we'll be waiting for you two.'