We'll Meet Again | Dukexiety/Platonic Intruality (Spider-Man AU)

summary: remus tried to mess with the universe and accidentally ripped through the multiverse. he has an option to save every universe, but it's a tough one.

word count: 770

no way home ending spoilers!!! i wanna write multifandom one-shots again, i've got a lot of ideas for peacemaker and spiderman T-T also, this entire spring break was terrible, and i got zero things done i'm so upset ://

tw/cw// crying, sadness, sad remus/patton/virgil/logan, ahaha pain :,)

~~~~

Remus swung up to Logan, also known as Dr. Strange. After everything that's happened to Remus, from the moment he was bit by a radioactive spider to the day the world found out his secret identity, he's never had one moment when he could sit down and relax. He thought making everyone forget his identity would be the answer, but he screwed that up too.

"Logan, what's going on?" He asked in a panicked voice, staring at the glowing rifts in the sky.

Through gritted teeth, Logan replied, "The spell; it's out of control. Everyone from every universe that knows Spider-Man's real identity is trying to break through. I-I can barely keep them back."

Remus glanced at the sorcerer's strained hands, attempting to use magic to hold back the unwanted visitors. "Would it work if everyone forgot me?" He asked quickly.

"It's too late for that. It's the same spell we used before; it won't work-" Remus cut him off.

"No, I mean, if everyone forgot me completely."

Fear and sadness flashed through Logan's eyes. "Remus, you have to understand. That would mean everyone will forget everything about you. It'll be as if you didn't exist at all; everything we've been through - everything you've been through with others - will be gone." He said with a shaky voice, tears welling in his eyes.

Smiling sadly, Remus nodded. "I know. I'm willing to do it."

Logan sighed and gave a watery smile. "Well, I'll see you later then, kid. Don't be a stranger."

"I'll see you later, Logan." Logan turned around to perform the spell as Remus swung back to his boyfriend and best friend.

He smiled as he realized they were okay, quickly landing on the concrete they stood on to hug his boyfriend, Virgil. Virgil pulled back, making sure Remus wasn't injured as he greeted Patton, his best friend since childhood. 

"Um, so Logan's going to cast a spell right now that should get rid of those guys." Remus pointed at the sky, causing Patton and Virgil to nod in understanding. "That's good, right? Then we can go home?"

Remus held their hands, tears pricking his eyes. "The spell will make everyone forget who I am, who Remus Prince is. They'll remember Spider-Man, but not me." Patton and Virgil gave Remus a tight hug with tears in their eyes without another thought. As they pulled back, Patton and Remus did their handshake one last time. "You know I'm a slow learner; be patient with me when you have to teach me that again." Patton joked, causing the other two boys to chuckle sadly.

Virgil and Remus turned to each other, cupping each other's faces gently. "I figured out who you were before; I can just do it again," Virgil whispered with a shrug, ignoring the shake in his voice.

Remus smiled, remembering how Virgil found out he was Spider-Man.

"And don't you forget that I will always love you, even if I don't remember you right away," Virgil said, more tears spilling down his flushed cheeks.

With a sigh, Remus took in every detail of Virgil. "I love yo-" Virgil pressed a finger to Remus's lips, cutting him off.

"Great. Tell me when you see me again, okay?" Remus nodded, then shared a heartbroken kiss with his boyfriend.

Giving his two best friends one last hug, Remus swung away.

~~~~

It'd been a week since Remus had last seen Virgil, Patton, and Logan. He decided it was time to try reuniting with them. He knew they'd be at the cafe Virgil worked at, their usual hangout spot.

'Hi, my name is Remus Prince. You don't know me, but I knew you. It's hard to explain, but we were friends once.' Remus practiced his mini-speech in his head, over and over.

Entering the cafe, Remus felt like time slowed down. Virgil and Patton laughed together, talking in hushed voices to not bother the other customers. Virgil turned to see Remus; it must've been Remus's imagination, but he could've sworn recognition flashed in the other's eyes. 

The cashier smiled awkwardly and recited the generic greeting as he walked to the register. Gulping nervously, Remus squeaked a simple order for a small black coffee. Virgil nodded and quickly poured the beverage into a small cup. "That'll be a dollar."

Remus's order was done without another word, and Virgil was moving over to Patton once more. Disappointment and grief swirled through Remus's chest. He gave each of them a sad smile and left the shop, returning to his apartment. 

'Someday, I'll be with them again. Some day.' He thought with a pained smile.

~~~~

I'VE BEEN WAITING TO POST THIS, AND NOW I CAN KSDHFKJDF anywho, hope you all enjoyed this angst (even if it is late), i love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

3/20/22