With You | Implied Dukexiety

summary: virgil notices his friend is feeling down and decides to do something about it

word count: 681

okayokayokay so remus is enby here and uses they/them pronouns, they're transfem, and they don't officially get with virgil but i'd totally be down to write some soft scenes between them from this universe sdfhksd also, i wrote the beginning of this when i was at one of my lowest points (like a month ago) and it started as a vent fic but now it's just some fluff and pretty cottagecore remus :))

tw/cw// sad remus, crying, dysphoria, panic/anxiety attack (?), mentions of misgendering, and like one curse word :)

~~~~

Virgil wasn't sure why but he'd suddenly gotten the urge to go to his friend Remus's house. He figured it was because he was bored and they usually know how to make things interesting. Yet, as soon as Virgil got to Remus's house, he spotted the teen lying on their bed with an emotionless expression, tear tracks down their face.

"Re? Are you okay?" Remus was quiet for a moment before immediately breaking down, putting their hands over their face. They were gasping between sobs as Virgil rushed over to them, softly petting their hair to calm them down.

Remus gripped their hair and tried to take in deep breaths. "Do you want to talk about it?" They inhaled and exhaled slowly. "Full story?" "Full story," Virgil responded.

They slowly sat and pulled their knees to their chest, staring down at their sheets sadly. "Everything. It's everything. I love everything, and I'm so happy, but all of it has downsides. Like my parents and I are getting closer, and they're accepting of me, but there are so many times when we fight, or they yell, or they misgender me, which makes it worse.

"And I love the way I look, but sometimes I don't. I don't have a chest at all, and I'm stuck with all this masculine crap that I barely care for. All of it just causes people to use the wrong pronouns. I hate that I'm more comfortable with they/them pronouns; I'd rather just use he/him or she/her. Every time someone uses my correct pronouns, there are so many people that are automatically like, "Who's 'they'? There's only one person. Who are you talking about?" And that's not inherently their fault; they don't know any better. But it still sucks to hear all day, every day.

"I just, I know everyone is trying to make all of this better for me, and I love them for that, but the fact that I'm different, I'm not what they all expected from me, it's just so...overwhelming, I guess."

Virgil waited a moment, letting all the information seep in. "Moose Tracks?" Remus sniffled, then nodded. "Moose Tracks."

Virgil retrieved the Moose Tracks ice cream from Remus's freezer then sat down next to the teenager, offering them a spoon. They idly ate pieces of the ice cream, sniffling every now and then before Virgil broke the silence. "So, you want to be more feminine?"

Remus slowly nodded. "Yeah, but it's not like I have anything lying around." They chuckled bitterly. Virgil thought for a moment before standing up and reaching out his hand; Remus just stared at it as if it were on fire. "What are you doing?"

"Janus barely wears any of the stuff she got for herself years ago. You're coming over right now to see if you like any of it, she won't mind." Remus stared into his eyes before giving a small smile and taking his hand.

~~~~

Virgil scrolled idly through his Tumblr feed, waiting for Remus to exit the restroom. Even though he had no idea if this would help Remus's dysphoria, Virgil hoped Remus might get at least one thing from the experience.

The emo's head perked up as the door creaked open.

'Oh...my...shit.'

A blush covered Virgil's face as he stared at Remus, who stood in the doorway shyly. They wore an off-the-shoulder picnic dress, their hair curled perfectly. "So, how does it look?" Virgil gulped as he stood up, still staring at the dress as Remus nervously smoothed it out. "You look...amazing." The shorter teen blushed with Virgil and looked down. "Re, whenever people get too much, just know that you are entitled to take some time away from everyone. Take a break, do something for you, something you want."

They sighed and looked up at Virgil. "What if I wanted to spend time with you? Just you? And be with you, forever?" Virgil smiled and pulled them into a comforting hug. "I'd be honored to spend time with someone as beautiful as you. Any time, any place, I'll always be here for you."

~~~~

sjdfhksdjfj idk about this one, i was gonna wait to post this until saturday but i wanna get all these drafts posted asap bc we're almost at like 30k reads and almost 200 parts so skdfkfk anywho, i hope you all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

11/11/21