Best Friend | Platonic Prinxiety

summary: virgil doesn't want others to know how close he is to roman, but he needs them to know to make his best friend feel better

word count: 599

idk about that summary but i'm somewhat staying on top of things rn, i hope it stays that way kdsfjkfd manifesting that 2022 is my year bc 2021 kinda sucked lol (going back to the classics with prinxiety today fsjdhkfj)

tw/cw// sad roman, nervous/anxious virgil, that should be it :))

~~~~

Virgil knew more about Roman than he let on. He didn't want others to turn him into Roman's designated assistant for any and all information about the eccentric boy. (Despite how Virgil worded it, he did, in fact, know plenty of information about the boy.) Thankfully, after a long explanation, Roman understood and only acted close to Virgil in private.

Were they best friends? Yes. Did anyone else have to know that? No.

So when Roman seems even the slightest bit off one day, Virgil's the first one to notice it, but he doesn't make it obvious. He knows the boy is acting normal around others, but the blankness of his eyes tells another story.

Subtly, Virgil lightly nudges Roman's hand with his own under the cafeteria table. Roman looks over at him before catching onto the silent question, 'Are you okay?' With a smile and a nod, Roman turns back to the rest of the friend group.

Virgil wished the problem could've been resolved just like that. But Roman's an excellent actor; even from experience, Virgil knows how well Roman can cover up without even thinking about it. He wished the seemingly genuine smile was a more satisfying answer, but he can't drop the fact that his smile didn't quite meet his eyes. 

~~~~

Refusing to leave his best friend be, unless verbally told to do so by said boy, Virgil dragged himself to Roman's house after school. It'd been an hour since school let out, and he spent the entirety of that hour hyping himself up and forcing himself not to wimp out.

As he went over what he planned one more time, he knocked on the front door. He mentally took note of the fact that his parents weren't home. 'Two less people to worry about.'

The moment Roman opened the door, Virgil barged his way in, keeping his gaze directed at the ground. "This shouldn't take long and I'm sorry for just springing this on you but I couldn't just keep it to myself.

"You've been acting super weird, not just today, but this whole week, and it's been stressing me out. I don't want you to struggle with whatever this is alone because you're my best friend and I care about you. I don't care what's going on, I'm always here for you, Ro. Don't feel like you need to hide all this stuff and keep it to yourself, okay?"

Virgil finally looked up to see Roman's shocked face before awkwardly glancing to the living room. His face turned bright red as he noticed a few faces he recognized from school watching the two confusedly. He turned back to Roman and gestures to his bedroom. "I'll be in there. Just, um, anyways. Yeah."

~~~~

Once everyone left, Roman and Virgil finally talked through everything. Virgil gently coaxed the truth out of Roman, finding out that he felt lonely at school, as if no one truly liked or knew him. Knowing this had something to do with Virgil's secrecy rule, no matter how much Roman denied it, the anxious boy decided on a compromise in his head.

The next day, instead of casually sitting next to Roman like he usually did, he gave him a short hug, much like the ones they shared in private. As he started up a small conversation with his best friend, he tried to ignore the slightly confused looks from his peers and focused on the way Roman's eyes lit up instead.

Was he nervous by all of the attention? Yes. Did Roman's happiness make it worth it? Yes, yes it did.

~~~~

how have i only just noticed that i love hurt/comfort? sjdhfkdjf ToT shoutout to my fav tss authors: keynbean, death-of-a-phangirl, TheRandomPenguin, CobyJLine, niclxo, and ringpopprince, like there's never a time in which i'm not rereading one of their stories dsjkkjf most of them aren't active on wattpad anymore but that's okay 🤪 anywho, i hope you all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

1/29/22