Late | Platonic Anxceit

summary: virgil is janus's best friend. one day, he's late for school, and janus is left vulnerable.

word count: 658

this one is very dark, very very dark 0-0. no idea why, but yeah, sfhkjlk also, i'm excited bc on wednesday, i'm (hopefully) getting my hair cut and (also hopefully) dyed half blonde and red sdhfdhj 

tw/cw// implied s*xual assault/harassment, crying, sadness

~~~~

Janus stuck his tongue out to his best friend Virgil childishly. Virgil playfully scoffed as he opened his front door. "Yeah, whatever. See you tomorrow, loser." Janus grinned amusedly and walked in the direction of his house. 

He spent a lot of time with the emo since they rode the bus together, they spent their free periods together, and they walked home with each other. Virgil had told Janus that he might be late for school the next day because he had a doctor's appointment; Janus didn't mind, though, he wasn't dependent on Virgil and could survive the morning without him. 

~~~~

Janus entered the bus and glanced at Virgil's seat. It was unusual not to see the darkly dressed boy but it didn't matter, he did have other friends, after all.

"Hey, Jan, can I sit next to you?" Janus looked up at the boy and smiled before nodding. The boy, John, returned his smile and sat beside him on the bus seat. "So, Virgil's not here today?" Janus snorted. "No, at least, not on the bus. He'll be at school in like a few hours, like the weirdo he is." He joked. 

John laughed before asking, "So what's the deal between you guys? Are you dating or..." Janus shook his head. "God, no. I love him, but he's not my type." John grinned and placed a hand on Janus's knee. "What is your type then?" Janus gulped and attempted to scoot away from his touch, he was trapped between John and the bus walls.

Janus shook his head. "Not you." John raised an eyebrow and chuckled. "Seriously, Jan, you-" "Don't call me that." The fearful boy whispered, trying not to attract attention. "Listen, you like putting up this act but I know the truth. I know you want me."

At some point in the bus ride, Janus had shoved his noise-cancelling headphones onto his head, blasting random music into his ears. He rushed to the campus with his head down, vaguely hearing the bell ring. Since he had study hall first period, he didn't have to worry about being late.

As he slowly entered the room, he noticed a few of the kids in his period talking to someone. They moved to reveal Virgil talking idly with them before he turned to see Janus walking in. The emo boy smiled. "What's up, loser?" Janus slowly pulled down his headphones, his wide eyes watering. "I-I thought you weren't getting here until 11 today." Virgil shrugged and made his way over to his best friend. "We got done early, so I made it on time. Why? Did you miss me-"

Janus pulled Virgil into a hug and gripped him tightly, trying not to cry into his shoulder. Virgil slowly returned the hug, "Jan, are you okay?" Janus sobbed into Virgil with shuddering breaths. Virgil rubbed the boy's back comfortingly. "It's okay. I'm here."

John entered the room, raising an eyebrow at the sight. "What's going on?" Janus tensed at the voice and gripped onto Virgil tighter, trying to hide himself from John's view. Virgil noticed the change and glanced between John and Janus, becoming more protective of his best friend. 

A look of recognition crossed John's face, followed by fear, before he quickly covered it up. His expressions were all the confirmation Virgil needed before he decided he had to get Janus out of there. He led the boy to a separate room to calm him down, not expecting him to confess everything that was upsetting him.

Virgil had known Janus long enough to know he hated putting on his headphones around people because he'd constantly be interrupted when someone would talk to him. Janus hated crying around other people. Janus hated being emotional or clingy. Janus especially hated initiating hugs. Something was clearly wrong, most likely involving John. But Virgil wouldn't push it. He just wanted to make his friend feel better for now, no matter what.

~~~~

idk what this is, i just got the idea and this is the most inspo i've had for weeks fdkjfhj today was pride, and it was pretty fun :p anywho, hope you enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

6/12/21