One Last Goodbye | Platonic Analogical/Moxiety (10k Reads!!)

summary: virgil's dad, roman, passed away recently and his other dad, patton, doesn't seem to be as affected as his son. virgil's best friend, logan, finds a way to help virgil deal with his grief and his only remaining dad.

word count: 2793

it's hard to describe but basically there's time travel (woah logan's a genius) and patton is so repressed (ahaha no bad vibes) and the main romantic ship is royality but this whole thing centers around virgil's platonic relationships with roman, patton, and logan :) this is really long but still thank you all for 10k :))

tw/cw// sad virgil, sad patton, mention of de*th, mentions of homophobia, a lot of crying

~~~~

Virgil entered his house and shut the door behind him, throwing his backpack half-heartedly against the wall. "Oh, kiddo. You're home early." Virgil ignored his dad, Patton, and searched through the fridge for a snack. "Are you hungry? I'm making spaghetti." Virgil glanced at his dad's hopeful smile and rolled his eyes, grabbing two cups of pudding and shutting the refrigerator door. 

"I don't want spaghetti. I'm getting something for Logan and me." Virgil mumbled, rummaging through the drawers for plastic spoons. "How has he been? I've noticed you've been going over to his house a lot lately, is there something I should know?" Patton attempted a lighthearted tease. 

Virgil found the spoons and grabbed two, packing them into a small bag, still not facing his dad. "No, there isn't. Not everyone has to be in love with everyone like you. Dad's only been dead for a year, and you've already gone on like ten dates. Which is exactly why," Virgil's voice raised as he went on. 

He turned to Patton, who had a sad and shocked expression on his face. "I don't like being here. It's why I've been with Logan a lot. He doesn't try to force me to be happy. He doesn't pretend as if everything's fine, and he doesn't forget that Dad ever existed. So no, I don't want to have dinner with you, like you've been asking for months. And no, I don't want to spend time with you because, unlike you, I care about the fact that my dad is dead and he isn't coming back. I would prefer actually to acknowledge and accept that rather than ignoring the facts."

Patton tried to say something, anything, but he couldn't find the right words. Virgil scoffed and left the kitchen and the house, slamming the front door on his way out. He put his hoodie up and his earphones in as he blared his music. 

His other dad, Roman, had died a little over a year ago after a drunk driver crashed into the sidewalk. Virgil knew his current dad, Patton, seemed heartbroken when they heard the news and when they were at the funeral. But all other times, he seemed too...happy. Patton and Roman met when they were 13; Patton had been in love with the same man for thirty years, it didn't make sense to move on that quickly.

Now arriving at Logan's house, Virgil shoved all thoughts of his weirdly positive father to the back of his mind. Logan was Virgil's age, but he had graduated last year since he skipped a year of high school. He was smart and caring in his own awkward way; it made it easier for Virgil to open to him often and vice versa, which meant Virgil knew things he couldn't show or tell anyone else. Virgil did visit Logan often to get away from his dad, as he had said, but it was also because of a secret between him and his best friend. 

A month or two after his dad had died, Virgil was understandably upset and voiced many nonsense wishes. One in particular piqued Logan's interest, the wish to go back in time. After the first semester, Logan had dropped out of college because he felt it was a "waste of money," so he spent most of his days on his own experiments, all failed experiments. After becoming interested in time travel to help Virgil, Logan spent weeks trying to figure that out until one day, he frantically called Virgil without explanation, not that Virgil would understand much of what he said.