Chapter 5 Part 17: The Mastermind's True Identity

Start from the beginning

Kaito suddenly lurched forward, starting his sprint towards Kokichi. In what felt like something similar as Midoriya in episode one of My Hero Academia, my legs moved on my own. I knew the reason I was running. I couldn't let Kaito put himself in danger recklessly. Kokichi had the upper hand, and I couldn't let him hurt Kaito. I couldn't let him hurt anyone...
Kaito let out an angry scream as he headed towards Kokichi and the Exisals that surrounded him. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I ran as quickly as I could to get him out of the way. I could barely hear what was going on as I chased after Kaito.
"Geez..." I heard Kokichi say, "your stupidity can't be cured unless you feel a bit of pain first."
I could barely hear the worried screams of Kirumi, Kaede, Maki, Shuichi... trying to get Kaito to stop, trying to get me to run back. I had to get Kaito out of the way. I didn't want their protested shouts to be in vein. We were all worried about Kaito ever since he coughed up blood. I couldn't let Kokichi harm Kaito.
I launched myself forward, extending my arms out to get ready to push Kaito out of the way, to knock some sense into him. My hands made contact with Kaito's back as I used the momentum to push Kaito out of the way. It seemed that as I was in the process of pushing Kaito out of the way...

I felt something large and heavy drop onto me. I felt pain vertebrate through my body as I could feel every ounce of air being pushed out of my lungs. I could feel my eyes widen in pure shock as I was trying to process what happened. It was so quick and so painful. I could feel my line of sight fade, getting blurrier. Black spots started to line my vision as I felt something grasp my midsection tightly. At that moment, I blacked out, not even aware of what had just happened....

Rantaro's POV:

    I had no idea who to trust or who I was any more. Ever since I watched that video in my lab, I haven't been able to trust anyone, even (y/n). Could I even trust myself at this point. Those were thoughts that were in my head ever since I told (y/n) to stay away from me.
    Now, Kokichi was saying he was the mastermind, and he even showed proof that he was. The worst thing was the fact that he knew about (y/n). I had no idea how he figured it out, but that was one of the things I was sure (y/n) was worrying about. Telling Kokichi to show proof was out of curiosity as well as me trying to get him to stop talking about (y/n).
    Now, there were two things I failed to see coming. Number one, the fact that all of our Electrohammers died at the same time. The second thing was Kaito. Kaito's rage obviously blinded him when he launched forward like a bullet towards Kokichi. In all honesty, Kaito was pretty easy to read, but the thing that truly shocked me...
    (y/n) ran after Kaito, and I could hear shouted protests of some of the others. Kirumi, and Kaede were defiantly in the bunch. Kokichi was protected by Exisals, and (y/n) must've realized that, especially after Kaito coughed up blood on the night we went to the Virtual World.
    With unmoving eyes from the scene before me, I saw before my very eyes, (y/n) pushing Kaito out of the way, but being slammed down by the red Exisal. I could see her body hit the floor as it happened, and I could hear the sound of the air being pressed out of her. I could see the shocked expression on Kaito's face as this happened. I could see the concern on his face as the Exisal wrapped the hand it slammed (y/n) down with around her midsection, lifting her up into the air as she laid limp like a rag doll. Her arms were dangling over her head as she was hung upside down in the air as if she was being displayed as some sort of sick example.
    I was staring up at the scene in shock as I saw her in the clutches of that giant hunk of metal Kokichi controlled. Looking at Kokichi's reaction as the Exisal lifted her up, it was like he expected this to happen. I could feel my eyes narrow as the urge to protect her rose in me again.
    "(y/n)!" I heard Shuichi exclaim.
    "...Don't worry," Kokichi said in response, "she's not dead. But now you know, right? There's no use in defying me, the mastermind. Nee-heehee... These Exisals were originally machines to protect us. They were built to shield us from any danger that might pop up on other planets. But now, I think it's hee-larious how much they've become a threat to you guys."
    I couldn't take this anymore. I couldn't take not being able to do anything. I was normally calm, and rational... but now that Kokichi had (y/n) as a hostage now... he was able to make whatever comments he wanted because he held her life above his head. I couldn't stand to see someone I cared about...someone I trusted in his clutches. If I didn't do something, there was a chance she was going to die. Even if I felt like I couldn't be with her, she did save me.
    "Let her go..." I stared with a glare directed towards Kokichi.
    "What was that?" Kokichi asked in response, "why are you looking at me like I'm the bad guy? Nee-heehee... it also looks like Kirumi and Maki think of me as some sort of bad guy too. You all have such harsh glares."
    I was confused in response to Kokichi's words. I didn't let my confusion show though. He was asking me why I thought *he* was the bad guy, when that answer was obvious. He was the reason this was happening, and he was probably the reason I was here. Maki and Kirumi were staring daggers into Kokichi as well.
    "I told you to let her go," I told Kokichi.
    "Now, why would I do that?" Kokichi asked in response, "you look at me like I'm the bad guy in all of this, so why don't we talk about you for a change, Rantaro Amami."
    "What is there to talk about?" I asked in response, "you are the mastermind, yeah? You are the one who is behind this killing game, so you are obviously the villain here."
    "What about the people who attempted to murder?" Kokichi asked, "they did something bad, yet they are still trusted. Why don't we talk about the bad things you've done, aye playboy? After all, you *were* the closest person to (y/n), riiiiiight?"
    'What is he getting at...?' I thought.
    I understood what he meant when he brought up the point of the convicted. Aside from Kiyo, we forgave. Everyone did bad things, and that was something that Kokichi was trying to hold over my head. I had no idea what he was going to say about me. I had no idea why he was bringing (y/n) into this conversation now that he was insistent on bringing up my downfalls.
    "Nee-heehee... it must be obvious, right?" Kokichi asked, "you all must've noticed how Rantaro was acting. Sure it was for about a day, but something changed him to the point where he was avoiding his girlfriend!"
    "Since you're the fuckin' mastermind, you must've been watching everyone!" Miu shouted, "that gives you no right to share personal information of any one of these plebs!"
    "Aaactually, I can, and I will, you annoying, worthless, skanky urinal cake," Kokichi replied, "this is my game, so I can do whatever I please."
    I could feel my body grow tense as Kokichi said that. It was taking all of my will power to not lose my cool. I had to stay calm and rational despite what was going on.
    "Kaito really dodged a bullet when my beloved (y/n) pushed him out of the way," Kokichi said as if he was thinking to himself, "how do you know I didn't plan this? No matter, you guys would be so maaad if anything happened to our resident Otaku, so I wouldn't do anything irrational right now."
    I gritted my teeth as Kokichi mentioned how Kaito managed to be saved because of (y/n) pushing him out of the way. What he said next made my cool composure falter slightly. How did we know he didn't plan for this to happen? There was a chance he was taking advantage of the situation, making everyone play the best hand they could play.
    "You look sooo angry at me, playboy!" Kokichi laughed, "but before we talk about you, I still have to tell everyone how (y/n) was able to revive the dead. Whoever already knows, please raise your hand!"
    Everyone who was here was silent in response, including me. I wasn't going to give Kokichi the satisfaction of raising my hand. I didn't care anymore. No one raised their hand in response to Kokichi, even the people who knew. It showed how much they wanted to keep their promise to her.
    "Aww man... no one raised their hand," Kokichi muttered sadly, "that won't stop me from telling, y'know. The secret of (y/n) that has total plot holes somehow is the fact that she can bring people to life with her tears!"
     I could feel my eyes widen in shock. He actually knew. Whatever doubt in my mind I had that Kokichi somehow got it wrong...were now gone. He exposed (y/n) for being the person who did what was somehow impossible. If I couldn't trust (y/n), why was I reacting this way?
     "I'll explain the rest while you all gasp in horror, so you better listen carefully," Kokichi seemed to sing, "(y/n) has a special gene that only exists in a person once every century. It's called *Tears of Life*, and with that ability, she was able to bring everyone back who wasn't intact. Because she wasn't able to help Ryoma, can conclude she used the motive combined with her healing tears. Seriously, it's like she has the healing ability of a rose quartz!"
"How do you expect us to believe you?" Maki asked.
Of all of the people who would want to defy Kokichi, Maki was defiantly the person to do it. It was no surprise to me that Maki held hatred towards Kokichi. From what happened after the second trial, it was to be expected.
"Good question, Maki Roll!" Kokichi exclaimed in response.
"Don't you ever call me by that again..." Maki muttered has her hair started to curl on edge, a glare present on her face.
"Awwwe, is Maki Roll mad?" Kokichi asked response, "how angry would you be if I told everyone Miu was my guniea pig in proving it?"
   "What the hell!?" Miu shouted, "I'm not some sorta fuckin' guinea pig!?"
"What if I told you you were?" Kokichi asked, his tone blank, "what if I told you all that I tackled (y/n) during Miu's investigation to make her cry? What if I told you all I managed to sneak a few of her tears and used them on Miu? Spoiler alert, it's not a lie!"
     "Y-You...!" Miu exclaimed, "it's bad enough that (y/n) was stressed over this shit, but it was you!?"
    "Nee-heehee..." Kokichi laughed, "got you."
    My eyes traveled over to Miu as Kokichi's words made her slip up. (y/n) told Miu, and she probably vented to Miu. That slip up confirmed that Kokichi was right, and I knew that. I couldn't feel anything aside from the terrible feeling welling up inside of me.
    The people that had no idea of (y/n)'s gene... Kaede, Gonta, Maki, Himiko, Tsumugi, Keebo, Kaito, and Tenko.... I could see the shock on their faces as Miu spoke. It was like they were processing hearing about Kokichi's truth and her secret... words failed to leave their mouths as they watched in shock. Maki's shocked face soon turned into a glare towards Kokichi that looked silent and deadly.
    "So (y/n) was stressed out about that," Kokichi said, "it's good to know that my tactics do feel reactions. I'm sure that wasn't the only thing bugging her, right, Rantaro?"
As soon as those words came from Kokichi's mouth, I could see him staring at me with a mischievous smile and a cold glint in his eyes. He was acting like this was amusing to him, but all his eyes held was some sort of murderous intent.
"I could be speculating, but you guys tell me," Kokichi said, "didn't you notice the way Rantaro was acting this morning? I'm very well sure, (y/n) did. Maybe something happened between them because someone's curiosity got in the way."
"What the hell are you getting at?" Kaito asked.
"You do know what they say, curiosity killed the cat," Kokichi snickered in response, "let's just say that it tooootally killed their relationship."
Curiosity was the one thing Kokichi held over my head. I wanted to find out what my talent was. I wanted to find out how I could win the killing game. If Kokichi knew about that... he really was a deviant, obsessed with killing. I may have been curious, but there was no way I caused damage. At least that's what I thought...
"Rantaro was so obsessed with his talent that he has now lost the ability to trust everyone!" Kokichi exclaimed, "including his so called *girlfriend*!"
"S-So he found out his talent...?" Tsumugi asked.
"Nee-heehee... of course he did," Kokichi replied, "you *would* think that Rantaro would still trust our lovely (y/n) after she saved his life by accident. Even with (y/n) pouring every ounce of her love and soul into him, he still decided that he couldn't fully trust her."
"Why are you acting like you know everything?" I asked, "you seem pretty sure of yourself to be sharing personal information with no filter."
"It's because I *do* know everything," Kokichi replied, "I even know about the conversation you two had today. Does that ring any bells?"
    As soon as Kokichi said those words, my mind instantly flashed back to earlier today. I could see the desperation in (y/n) as she tried to ask me what was wrong... and how I was accusing her of lying and getting close to me just to put me on ice. How did he know about that. Was that where he was this whole time...? The hidden room?
    "Your silence speaks volumes, y'know," Kokichi said, "I'm pretty sure you knew (y/n) didn't take it well. You could see the desperation in her eyes, the tone of her voice trying to get you not to leave her. (y/n) was helping everyone, but now who was helping her?"
    Kokichi hummed to himself for a moment as he controlled the Exisal to bring (y/n) close enough for him to examine. It was more like the Exisal just brought her closer. She was still being held upside down by the Exisal, her, (h/c) hair seeming to get more tangled from the motion. He was looking at her with unchanging serious eyes, but those soon turned into an amused glint.
    "(y/n) was probably under a lot of stress," Kokichi explained as he ran a pale hand through her hair, "I mean, the one person who she trusted with all of her heart ditched her. She felt alone and unloved. What do you think she did?"
    I could feel myself grow uncomfortable as Kokichi ran his hand through her hair while she was unconscious and unresponsive. I had no idea what to do. Kokichi was talking about her and mentioning me as someone who ditched her. Did I really make her feel unloved...? When Kokichi asked me what I thought she did, I felt a deep pit form in my stomach.
    "Why don't I show you?" Kokichi asked as his hand slowly trailed to her right arm that was hanging over her head in her current position.
    Kokichi's fingers grasped the fabric of (y/n)'s dress, slowly pulling it up. What I saw were bandages covering her entire arm, what looked like blood almost peeking from her bandages. I couldn't say anything. I was struck with shock, anger, and guilt.
    "(y/n) was broken when she got here," Kokichi explained, "but she still cared for everyone else. She chose you, but you obviously took that for granted. I mean what kind of boyfriend abandons his girlfriend who was in need. Nee-heehee~! It's no wonder that she cut herself!"
    I couldn't speak the shock was so real. Kokichi was talking about me like some sort of monster. Was he right? Kokichi knew about what I told her, and now I realized what happened.
    It was so obvious that I should've seen it coming. I felt sadness and pain. I felt despair. That's what I felt. Knowing that I was the cause of something that could've been easily avoided if I weren't so stupid. I clenched my fist as I resisted the urge to try and get (y/n) back.
    However that feeling turned into one of hopelessness. I lowered my head as I tried to get ahold of my thoughts. So much was going through my head. I was told not to trust anyone, and now the person I cared about the most was in Kokichi's clutches. The person I cared about the most was exposed by Kokichi, and I was also in turn.
    That wasn't even the worst part of it. That wasn't even the worst part in my thoughts. The way I spoke to (y/n) earlier today... I should not have said those things to her. I was a monster. Emotionless... a playboy or heart breaker.
    'Did (y/n) harm herself because of me?'

ANOTHER EARLY UPDATE FOR ALL OF YOU! I BASICALLY MADE UP THE DIALOGUE FOR MOST OF THE CHAPTER AND IM SO EXCITED!

Ahem-! We finally made it to the quote on quote climax of the story I think. Sometimes I don't even know! (y/n) saved Kaito from the wrath ok Kokichi, but in turn, she was placed into that situation.

And this chapter is mostly in Rantaro's POV? Awooga!

I kinda had a hard time writing the last part out not gonna lie. Sometimes moments go through my brain, and then I forget. I literally wrote this chapter so fast because I was excited. Here you all are.

Also, if any of you are in the range of the snow storm that's happening right now, please be careful! In any case, more interesting things will happen next chapter. You all have an amazing weekend! Ciao for now- yuki_no_fuyu