Chapter 6

Colby had started working at the library. When him and Pam had talked, she really liked his work abilities, so he got the job. He even got an apron with pockets in it to carry some books. He would check them off, then put them in the right genre. There were more customers than he thought they would have so he was busy.

He had two different schedules, an early morning and mid-day shift, or a mid-day and late night shift. The first one started at 8:00 and he left at 3:00. The second one started at 12:00 and he left at 7:00. That night he got off work before Rebecca did. Everyone at the bakery had went home, except for Rebecca. She was staying to clean up the mess and have things ready for the next morning. Colby knocked on the bakery's doors and smiled when he realized she had heard him. She quickly walked over to the door and unlocked it letting him in. "Bonjour." She smiled happily as he came in.

Colby smiled and followed her to the kitchen. "Working late huh? How was your day?"

Rebecca washed her hands and was drying them off. "Yeah, I told everyone to go home... but it was a good day. We had a lot of customers so. How's the library?" She grabbed two glasses and a wine bottle and went over to some stools by the bar area.

She handed Colby one and filled his glass. "It's going really good. I really like it." He smiled as she finished. "Thanks."

Rebecca sat down beside him and took a drink from her glass. "I'm glad you're liking it. Is Pam driving you crazy?"

Colby laughed and set his glass down. "No she's been really good to me. She's also had to help me a few times but she's good."

Colby and Rebecca were staring into each other's eyes. Why can't i look away... we're just friends. Rebecca knew her and Colby had just met, so she knew they couldn't just hop into things. "Uhm... i have to finish decorating a cake, would you want to stay?"

Colby drank the last bit of wine and set down the glass. "Yeah i'd love to." He stood up and took of his jacket while she walked behind the counter to grab her supplies. "What kind of cake are you baking?"

Rebecca pulled the cake out of the freezer and set it down on the counter. "We'll it's already baked but it's an ice cream cake." Colby smiled and watched happily as she decorated the cake.

Although they had just met, he liked her, he wanted to have her. Colby had never been this close to a friend and he knew she hadn't either—besides Ashley, Pam, and Mercedes—but they didn't stay late nights with her at the bakery and make sure she got home safe. They didn't watch out the window to make sure she didn't get hurt or kidnapped before she walked into her apartment building. They didn't watch or see her every day, heck they didn't call or text her everyday. Colby and Rebecca met a month ago, and he couldn't stop thinking about her. I'm no good for her, he thought. I've done terrible things, she would never date someone like me.

Rebecca waved her hand in front of him stopping him from his thoughts. "Hello? I've been asking you to hand me that bag of flowers forever. Are you ok?"

Colby shook his head and handed her the bag. "Sorry i was just thinking. Are you putting them on the cake?"

Rebecca shook her head and smiled. "You want to help?"

Colby smiled and walked behind the counter where she was. She put one on, demonstrating how to do it, then handed a flower to Colby. He hesitated and sighed. "I don't want to mess this up. You've worked hard on this, and it's beautiful."

Rebecca nudged him and smiled. "You won't mess it up. Just place it right here." She pointed and waited for him to move, but he never did. "Colby. I promise it's ok." She laughed grabbing his hand. She pulled it towards the cake and he placed it next to the other ones. "See... I told you, you wouldn't mess it up."

Rebecca had meant to let go of his hand, but she didn't. Colby was rubbing her knuckles and looking down at her. Rebecca looked up at him not letting go of his hand. Colby turned her towards him and rubbed some curls out of her face. He then leaned down close enough to capture their lips, before the timer went off —for the extra cake toppings to be taken out of the fridge—making them both look towards that way. Rebecca let go of his hand and walked towards the fridge. "I forgot about the strawberries."

Colby stepped away and let her set the toppings down. He had almost done it, he almost kissed her. What am i doing, he thought as she spread the toppings on. He just stood there, watching her finish the cake and put it in the freezer before taking off her apron and putting it up. "Uhm... I'm going to head home, would you want to ride with me?" Colby didn't want to pressure her, but he also didn't want to leave things awkward between them.

Rebecca smiled. "Well, I drove here this morning so my car is out back." She pointed towards the back and Colby's smile dimmed. "But i could just drive back tomorrow evening, if you wouldn't care dropping me off in the morning?"

Colby smiled again as she picked up her purse. "Yeah I don't care a bit to. Come on." Colby and Rebecca then walked out to his car and got in. He started the car and they left.

Rebecca couldn't stop thinking about that "almost kiss". She wanted to be with him, but she didn't think he deserved her. She had killed people, bad people, if he found out about that, he would not want to be with her anymore.

As Colby was driving he glanced at Rebecca, who was staring out the window. He couldn't stop looking at her features. She's so beautiful, he thought as he pulled up their apartments.

They both looked at each other with a sad smile, realizing their night together had just came to an end.