Chapter 4

When Rebecca had just moved to New York, she didn't have any friends. She didn't even have any family, so she was on her own. She had bought a place in an apartment, moved all of her things here without a moving truck, and bought new items that she couldn't fit in her car to decorate her new apartment. So when Colby moved into the apartment across the street, she knew he would need help. She was going be the one to help him, but the next day she saw two other guys outside with him.

One of them had red, brownish hair. He looked like he was making jokes, or saying something funny, because the other two were laughing. She then looked over and seen another guy. He had his hair pulled back into a man bun, with tattoo sleeves on his arms. He looked, samoan. She watched as they moved furniture into the apartment. I'm glad he has help. Since it was saturday, she didn't work at the bakery. Instead some of her coworkers would take turns working.

She didn't want to seem like a stalker standing at the window and watching them, but right before they met, Colby had been staring at her, at her bakery, in a booth by himself. And she thought he was a creep.

She stopped looking and went to the kitchen to fix her something to eat. She had put toast in the toaster, and set out some honey and butter to spread on it. While she waited she went on her phone. She seen she had some missed messages, so she decided to answer them. One of them were from Mercedes, hoping that Rebecca would stop by at the gym and do a workout with her and Fergal. And the other ones were from her family.

She jumped when her toast popped up. She put her phone away and went and ate, then got ready. When she was done she looked out the window to see Colby getting a dog from a woman. She had long brown hair and the dog was a yorkie. Maybe it's his sister. She never asked if he was single, but she figured he was since he was staring at her. Colby brought the dog inside then him and the woman started talking. Rebecca watched as the two started arguing, and she slapped him and left. It could very well be his sister. Siblings do fight a lot, but they could have been a couple.

Rebecca grabbed her keys and went outside. She walked towards Colby smiling as he rubbed his face. He sat down on the sidewalk and put both hands on his face. Rebecca put her hand on his back and sat down beside him. "Everything ok Lopez?"

Colby chuckled and looked up at the sky. "Yeah... I just got into an argument."

"Was she your sister? I saw her slap you as i came outside." She didn't want to tell him she was watching him through the window.

Colby rubbed his head then leaned back and looked at her. "She's my ex. Ex-fiancée actually."

Well great. "Oh wow...I thought that..."

"No. Her name is Leighla. We were engaged a few years back but... I uh... cheated on her."

Rebecca looked at him, and he gave her a sad smile. "I'm guessing you guys are still mad at each other then."

"I'm not mad at her, at least not for that reason. After she found out she posted my nudes all over social media. She forgave me, and i forgave her, but... we're not for each other." He stared at her. "She's not the one for me."

Rebecca looked up at the sky then at a passing car before she turned her attention towards Colby. "Did you know that before you proposed?"

Colby looked away from her to make sure the little dog hadn't escaped. "I hate to admit it... but yeah... i did." He looked back at her and smiled. "I guess... where we had been dating for so long, that we were going to spend the rest of our lives together, so i proposed. And after a while, everything seemed so fake. I think i just had a mindset that i had to get married to her. But it's over now, so."

Rebecca smiled at him and nodded. "Why did you cheat on her... if you don't mind me asking."

Colby shook his head. "No i don't mind. I really don't know. I was just out one night and this girl came onto me, and i let her." He paused for a minute then continued. "I've changed now though. I learned my lesson."

Rebecca smiled then looked at the passing cars. "Well i'm glad you've changed."

Colby smiled. "Yeah me too. You may see her a couple of times. Me and her share a little yorkie. His name is Kevin. He's cute." He says chuckling.

"I love animals! You'll have to show me him one day."

"Yeah i will." Colby pulled out his phone to check the time. "Do you have any plans? I'm going to try to find a job around here."

Rebecca looked at him with curious eyebrows. "Well, i do own a bakery. Do you know how to bake?"

He laughed loudly. "Nope. I've tried.... but i almost burn the place down when i do."

She laughed as they stood. "What do you like to do?"

"I like music and bands so i thought maybe i could open up a comic book/music store. I also like to read so i thought about finding a library to work at."

"I have a friend actually who works at a Library! She's really nice you would like her. You could try there or you could wait on tables at the bakery." She stopped and looked him over. "You work out? My friend Mercedes owns a gym with her fiancé."

"Isn't it obvious." He laughed. "I could talk to your friend to see if i could work at the Library. And if not, maybe i could help you out."

She nudged his arm as they were walking down the street. "I hope you find something, but if you don't you know where i work... and live." She says laughing.

"That i do." He got a phone call so she stepped aside so he could answer. She watched his facial expressions change throughout the call but then it ended. "Well screw that idea. I have to meet up with... someone."

"That's ok, go on. I'll probably just go shopping or something. Maybe go home and read." She chuckled.

"Ok. I'll see you around Red."

"I'll see you around Lopez."