A Dragon Rider's Love (SeroKami) Fantasy Au

(Request by Tori_Lovegood. Shout to Lady Dee for helping me edit this one!)

In a small clearing, a dragon shifter and his Rider were preparing to depart on a quest, packing up their camp into saddle bags. They moved insync, having perfected their routine after years of travel together. They were headed on a month-long journey to a town several kingdoms over. Although they didn't need to be there for another two months, they wanted to arrive before Kaminari's heat hit to have time to find a dragon for him to heat-share with. Not that Sero wouldn't fill that role if necessary, he had the scars to prove just how far he'd go to make sure his dragon was taken care of.

Once finished, the shifter took his dragon form and Sero quickly saddled him up. The black leather contrasting nicely with the yellow scales of the electric dragon as well as complimenting the black jagged horns and accents on the dragon's tail. They left the clearing, taking to the air, deciding to make a quick stop at the keep to let the Barbarian King know they were on their way. As they descended, they noticed their friend approaching excitedly.

"DENKI!" The king's ruby dragon bellowed happily, chirping as they landed, "Leaving already?" the playful red dragon nudged Kaminari to play with him.

"Yeah!" Kaminari butted heads playfully with the alpha dragon, chirping happily.

Chuckling at the playful exchange, Sero made his way to the Keeps entrance, disappearing inside.

The dragons nuzzled and tousled around until the larger had Kaminari pinned to the grass. The alpha sniffed at Kaminari's neck, noting the very distinct scent of preheat, however, before he could suggest Kaminari stay to spend his heat with him, the king's voice boomed from the entryway.

"EIJIRO!" The ash blond king chided his dragon, noticing Sero was in a rush to leave. His dragon scampered to his side, baring his neck apologetically. "Stay safe you two, you have my blessing." He yelled after Sero.

"Thanks 'Tsuki! We'll send word when we arrive." Sero mounted Kaminari once more, giving him a reassuring tap that he was ready.

"Please do. I know Eijiro will be worried." Bakugo waved them off with a soft smile reserved for those closest to him.

Then they took off towards their destination, disappearing above the clouds.

The first few days went by just fine as they camped to eat and rest like they normally did. However, on the fifth day Sero grew concerned at how fast Kaminari was flying.

"Hey Sparks slow down, you'll wear yourself out." He called out over the rush of wind, a little worried as he rubbed at Kaminari's neck in an attempt to help him relax. He could feel the heat radiating off Kaminari, the poor dragon was burning up.

"I'm not going to make it if we slow down." Kaminari could feel his heat creeping up on him, already aching to be filled.

"See that mountain right there?" Sero asked calmly, leaning forward and pointing at the mountain ridges not far from where they were.

"Yeah." Nodding, Kaminari adjusted his course.

"Let's see if there is a cave that we can stay in for a while." Sero suggested, rubbing at warm scales, hoping to sooth his dragon even if only slightly.

"Okay!" Kaminari flew full speed toward the mountain until he was close enough to scan for a cave.

Once he found one, he dove for it. Landing less than smoothly but safely, immediately shifting into his half form. It was as close to his human form as he could get during his heat. If he were heat sharing with a dragon, he could just stay shifted but the size difference proved dangerous for his Rider and that was not a risk he was willing to take.