8

Missy

"Mommy," Lyric sung. "Wake up, mommy." She pulled my eyelids open by my eyelashes. I fluttered my eyes open to see Lyric standing in front of me with her hair everywhere.

After a long, emotional talk with August last night and deciding that we would try again, I was tired as hell. We went to bed around four in the morning and according to the digital clock on my nightstand, it was only seven a.m.

"Yes, Lyric?" she smiled bright once I responded. Maybe, she was tapping me for a while. "Daddy leave. And I want cookie yogurt." I groaned at the fact that he woke her up so early just to tell her he left. He could have told me.

"Just lay in bed until Mommy gets you breakfast. Then, you can get cookie yogurt. Ok?" she nodded her head with a smile. She climbed on the bed and all over me, pushing her knees all into my body to get to the other side of the bed.

She opened her arms wide, signifying that she wanted me to lay with her. I laid my head on her little chest while she wrapped her arms around my whole head.

"Mommy."

"Huh, Lyric?" I just wished she would be quiet.

"Why Daddy say it's not his day today? Is it my day today?" she questioned.

"It's your day everyday, baby. When did he say that to you?" I rested my head on my hands, looking down at her.

"He look sad. He had red eyes and nose like Rudolph." I sighed. I tried thinking of what could possibly be wrong with him. I remained quiet until it hit me, it was August. August, the 31st.

"Oh baby, Daddy is just going through some things. Did he tell you where he was going?" she looked up as if she was in deep thought.

"He say he go to his house." I nodded. "You feel like going to Daddy's house?" she squealed in excitement. She immediately jumped up to get ready to go.

After getting both, Lyric and I cleaned up and letting her dress herself, we were on our way to McDonald's. Tacky wasn't even the word for Lyric right now, but I know it would brighten August's day to see her dressed the way she was and to know that she actually got the chance to do it on her own since she'd been begging us to do so.

Lyric and I finished up our breakfast from McDonald's in the driveway of August's home. His house was ducked off in front of the woods.

Lyric took it upon herself to ring the doorbell non-stop. Pushing it again as soon as she released from it. Minutes had passed by and there was still no response. I was starting to get agitated since Lyric's feelings would be hurt afterwards. "Maybe he isn't home, Lyric." I said looking up to his bedroom, which was ajar. He was home.

I wasn't going to use my key because I don't know what he could be in there doing and I don't want Lyric to experience anything crazy. On second thought, I didn't know what he could be doing in there. I know today is the day his oldest brother passed, and I also know that August still doesn't take it too well.

I decided to yell his name, not caring that I looked crazy as hell screaming outside his house in the morning with a two, almost three year old by my side. "Daddy, open door!" Lyric screamed out causing me to giggle at her.

He stuck his head out the window and I could see the pain written all over his face, but he quickly changed it into a smile once he seen Lyric outside. "Open up, Daddy!" he gave off a warm smile and put his back into the window. Seconds later, the door swung open.

"My babies." he sniffled. I pulled him into a hug as Lyric tried to join in from the bottom, making him pick her up so she could be a part of it as well. He rested his face into the crook of my neck as he let his tears fall.

He never really cried around Lyric since he says that she'll think he's a big baby, but Lyric is always going to be the one to comfort you. She may be two, but she is the most caring person I know.

"C'mon August. Let's go to your room." I whispered to him. He nodded and wiped his fallen tears before he fully picked his head up. He lead me into his room by hand while Lyric looked around his house like she hasn't been here a million times before.

He took a seat on the edge of the bed where I stood in front of him. "Aug, you can cry. Lyric isn't gonna see you any differently." I rubbed my fingers through his hair while Lyric sat in his lap hugging onto his torso.

We had all climbed into bed. Lyric on his chest and me on his side. I kissed the side of his face and I felt a warm tear drop to where my lips were.

Lyric noticed and hugged onto his neck even tighter. "Daddy, I think I know what get you happy." she smiled and looked at me. I didn't know what she was going to do nor say, but knowing Lyric, it was out of the norm. She sat up on the bed looking down at both of us.

He chuckled and asked her to proceed with her suggestion. "I sing a song for you. After, you and mommy can make each other happy again." she smiled brightly. "How we make each other happy, baybeh?" she giggled.

"You lock the door like always and make loud noise. You always happy after that, right?" she looked between us. My jaw dropped at what she had just said. "Lyric, what are you talking about?" I nervously laughed.

"The squeaky sound like when I jump." She referred to the the times she jumped on the bed. "And mommy always yell. It sounds like you have fun." At this point, I that she heard us having sex at one point.

August was cracking up at the fact that our daughter called us out like that, but I didn't find it funny at all. "Don't repeat that to anyone, okay?" she nodded, but still looked confused.

"You feel better now? Now that your child called us out like that?" I asked August while he was still laughing. I was glad to see him laughing, even if I had to be embarrassed for it to happen.

"Shut up, August." I whined as he continued laughing. "Sing for Daddy, Lyric." I suggested so he'll shut up for once.

She started to sing, but I'm pretty sure she made the song up since it was about butterflies flying around a tree. (A/n: When I was really young like maybe 4, I would always sing about butterflies flying around a tree for some reason. I don't know why, but it was what was poppin at the time.)

August waved his arms around in the air with his eyes closed and tried singing along with her, but of course, he didn't know the words so he just hummed. She finished with a big smile on her face. August and I sat up and cheered for her, clapping and all.

"You liked it?" she asked in a high-pitch voice. "I luh'd it. How bout'chu mama?" August turned to me. "I give it a ten." I said with my little dive attitude and gave her three snaps.

She did a crowd surf on top of me and Aug, killing our bones, but we didn't let it show. We screamed out 'yay's and 'woohoo's for her as she was feeling herself. She bowed down and hopped up out of our grasps.

She ran towards the door and smiled at us. "Now, you can have secret happy time. Turn on tv, first." August busted out laughing once again.

The day had only just started...