5

Missy

My mother had finally come back in town since my birthday. We were cooped up in the house catching up on every things that's been going on. I told her what happened at the salon and now she's questioning my relationship with August.

Now don't get me wrong, I love August but I'm not in love with him. People see us and say we're their "relationship goals", but they just don't know what he and I have been through just to end up as friends with a child together.

"Y'all just need to go 'head and get it together. Look at y'all, y'all are happy with each other. You two have a kid together that looks up to you two and y'all ain't doing nothing but confusing her with not being together, but sleeping in the same bed. What's the issue now? Y'all don't have anything to worry about." I sighed. She was telling the truth, but she didn't understand what we've been through.

I decided not to tell my mother what happened with Susie. Any of it. From August getting head from her down to her death. I was pissed at him, but I didn't wanna see him dead. Lyric loves him too damn much.

"I see that, mom. I do, I just don't wanna feel hurt anymore. I'll just save myself from heartbreak." She shook her head and smacked her teeth. "That boy is in love with you. I see that new jewelry set you're wearing. I seen that on the website for Tiffany's. Together that shit comes up to more more than $11,000. I know you didn't pay for that." I chuckled because it was true.

I went on the website as well. He bought them out of the Tiffany Hearts collection. The necklace itself was 18 karats rose gold with diamonds, that costed $9,000. The earrings were the same, but $4,000.

"You know I love that kid, right mama?" she nodded. "Mhm, I know."

"I just don't see why we have to be together? We're fine how we are." I shrugged. "Alright, now. When you get to feeling all upset when he's seeing someone else, you already know why." I shook my head. "He ain't going for nobody else, mama. I already know."

"Don't get me wrong, I know he loves you but don't get too cocky. He'll get tired of it." Somehow in the midst of her talking, I began to tear up at the thought of August moving on with someone else.

"See, true feelings come out when you put shit into perspective." she said, sitting beside me to comfort me.

"Wassam wassam?" I heard August shout while entering the house. "My boy." my mom got up to hug him. "I ain't e'en know you was in town mama. Wassup witcha' gawgeous?" she giggled. "Oh, nothing much. Just talking to this stubborn little girl." I heard her say. I kept my head down the whole time so he wouldn't see me crying.

"Missy, what's going on witcha' luh' lady?" he sounded so happy. I could tell he was smiling and I couldn't even look up to see it. He sat next to me and pulled me into his lap, lifting my chin with his finger.

"Why you crying luh' lady? Mama making you upset? I'a beat ha' fa' ya'." I laughed at his silliness and the argument between him and my mom that was bound to happen eventually. I shook my head. "No, she didn't make me mad. She just made me realize some things." I explained.

I heard the stairs creek and looked up to see Lyric coming down the stairs, rubbing her eyes. "You up now, baby?" she slowly nodded and walked over to August and I. My mom was in the kitchen, so she didn't see her.

She crawled into my lap, while I was still in August's lap. "Hi, daddy." she cuddled up against his chest while I laid my head on his shoulder. "Hey, my baybeh." he replied. All of a sudden, I heard a camera snap. My mother had taken a picture of us with her phone. "Ma-ma!" Lyric squealed running to my mother.

I looked up to see August with his head leaned back against the back of the sofa with his hat on his face. He was knocked out. I laughed at the fact that he slept through Lyric stepping on him and her screams. "Get up, Aug." I tapped, softly speaking.

Instead of getting up, he pulled me into his lap once again. "Uh uh, Missy c'mon." he mumbled. "You gotta get in the bed." I put my hand on his chest, trying to get up but was pulled back again. "Stay right here." he whispered.

I let out a sigh of frustration. "I luh' you." he kissed the side of my face. "I'll take Lyric upstairs so we can watch some movies." my mom said with Lyric tugging at her hand. My mother walked off into Lyric's room, but made sure she winked at me before she left.

"I love you too, August. Get your rest." I said, closing my eyes.