We'll Be Alright

Beginne am Anfang

I watched Scott toss his empty bag of chips into the small trash beside him, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I—" I had to stop myself. Just thinking about what happened between Taylor and me was enough to make me break down right here in the lobby. I handed him my empty bag of chips. While Scott leaned over to throw the empty bag away, I took a big swig of water and a deep breath.

Scott looked at me, "She told me she loved me." My voice was so quiet I barely heard myself. I looked at Scott. He didn't look surprised or blown away; he looked sorrowful but also happy. "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

He nodded. I looked down at my lap, leaning back in my chair. "I–I didn't even get to say it back." I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away. I sniffed, "I never got to say it back."

I heard Scott sniffle as he placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. "Taylor knows, trust me," I heard the shakiness in Scott's voice, making it harder for me to hold it together.

I took a deep breath and looked at him, "Scott, I don't know how I'm gonna be able to live without her."

Scott looked at me momentarily as a tear fell down his cheek; he didn't bother wiping it away. He shook his head, "I have no idea either."

We sat the next hour in silence, staring at the doors that led to Taylor. Around hour 10, her doctor walked through the door and headed for us, with Melissa walking closely behind. Scott and I shot up from our chairs, meeting them halfway. The doctor took a deep breath before smiling, "She made it."

Scott and I let out something between a sob and a sigh of relief. The doctor continued, "Taylor will be here for about a month. She lost a lot of blood, and from the looks of it over the past couple of weeks, it looks like she's barely slept or eaten. So, we're keeping her a little longer than normal to make sure she's well-nourished before she leaves." We nodded as he ushered us with his hand to follow him. We did it immediately.

The doctor approached us between the doors we'd been staring at for the past 10 hours. As we continued to walk, he continued to ta:k, "She'll be asleep until the anesthesia wears off, which may take a day or two, but you're more than welcome to see her and sit with her."

"Thank you," Scott said as we stopped in front of what I assumed was her room.

"Stiles," he turned to look at me, and I looked back at him. "I would like to thank you personally."

I was taken aback, "For what?"

The doctor smiled, "Well, a few paramedics saw you performing CPR on your friend." His smile was sincere, "your CPR was actually what kept Taylor alive until the paramedics arrived." I felt my heart beat out of my chest as he said, "You saved her life."

I froze as Scott talked to the doctor for me. I didn't notice the doctor, and Melissa walk away until Scott snapped his fingers in front of me. I blinked a couple of times and turned around to find Scott with his hand on the handle. " Are you ready to go in?"

A small smile formed on my lips, "I don't think I can wait another second." Scott smiled, opening the door quietly and slowly before we both walked in.

The room was almost entirely dark except for the lamp by Taylor's bed. My heart stopped at the sight of her. She looked so pale; she had so many needles in her arms and stuff taped to her chest to monitor her, and the worst thing was the breathing tube that was stuck down her throat.

Scott noticed that I froze in the doorway as he stood next to the bed. "You know that breathing tube only stays in there for a day or two. She shouldn't even feel it," he said.