-Chapter Fifty Five

You know the dark gloomy days that come with death jn the movies? Well that was not the case here. The sun was shining like usual over the wailing cries of my family who just found out today morning that my grandmother has left this world.

I couldn't even say a thing. My mouth never moved as they asked me why Gogo didn't eat her food. My mouth didn't move when they asked why I looked like I had been crying all night. My mouth didn't move when Aunt Georgina shook my grandmother awake and panicked when she didn't wake up. My mouth didn't move when it dawned upon her why I was acting the way I was. My mouth didn't move when she screamed for help and all the family came rushing in to see what was wrong. No, I just remained there cuddled to Gogo as if she were still alive. I ignored the shrill cries that burst out in the room and held Gogo tighter. I didn't let go even when the mortuary people arrived to take her away. I wanted to scream for them to let her go but I couldn't scream. My mouth refused to move and my voice disappeared on me.

I watched from Gogo's bedroom window as the mortuary van drove off leaving a tear-stained family behind. Neighbour's had already flocked the house giving out their condolences. Yes, Gogo was known and loved by many in the community.

I heard someone sit on the bed as I watched the van disappear from sight. I turned around and found Naledi seated on the bed and looking straight at me. She looked indifferent. She wasn't in tune with her emotions.

"Sesi(sister) why am I not crying? I feel sad but I'm not crying like everyone else, I love Gogo too. Is it because I'm not normal?" Naledi asked and I shook my head as I sat on the bed next to her. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. That freaked me out but all I could do was embrace my little sister to comfort her.

Mama entered the room with my dad. Her face was tear stained but she dried it up so Naledi couldn't see her face.

"Come here, my baby girls." Mama said to us. We stood up from the bed and fell into her embrace. My dad joined the embrace too.

"It's okay, we're going to be fine." She said but even she sounded unsure. How were we going to go through everyday without Gogo? She is–was the pillar of the family. I know we are going to feel her absence each and everyday and the sad part is we can't do anything about it.

She let us go after a while and said we should join the rest of the family in the living room. I shook my head no. I didn't want to go out. I was okay just here. Mama nodded as she left with my dad and Naledi in tow.

*Flashback*

"You know what my dear grandchildren, one day I will leave this world and go to one unknown to all of you. The Lord has blessed me with a very long life. Ninety years to be exact—"

"No Gogo it's eight-nine years." Tumi corrected.

"Oh shut it, child." She said and my cousins and I laughed.

"Anyway please know that it is my time. Know that I love you all so much and please make sure those church ladies don't sing at my funeral. They can't sing to save their lives." She said and we laughed.

"Of course not. We will sing not them." My cousin said and we all nodded in agreement.

*End of Flashback*

At that time it was a joke to us all because we thought that Gogo wasn't going to die. We thought she was immortal but today's events prove otherwise. When Grandad Raymond passed away it was different. I was young I didn't quite understand but now I fully understand the concept of death and the grief has become my partner now.