-Chapter Seventeen

Justin pulled out a chair for me and I thanked him before I sat down.

I had exactly an hour to prep myself for the said 'lunch' but I don't think more time would have helped with my nerves. The only thing calming me down was the quiet chanting in my head trying to convince me that it was just a meeting with a friend, like Cara. But only Justin was the opposite sex and I had some sort of weird feelings for him.

I twiddled my thumbs as the waiter placed the menus before us and promised to come back to take our orders. I opened the menu and scanned through it.

Once I decided what I was having, I peeked at Justin over the menu. He held the menu and caught me looking at him. I looked at him and saw his lips tug into a smile as we stared at each other. I hid behind the menu and giggled which led to me blushing in embarrassment.

My behaviour was soo high school but I couldn't help it. Justin made me feel things and I had totally accepted that. I have accepted that I like Justin Oliver Hudson.

"Are you ready to order?" The waiter appeared back at our table. I quickly shut the menu and put it on the table and gave the waiter a polite nod.

"I'll have your barbeque rib burger with chips— I mean fries and a small bowl of Italian salad. To drink I'll have the vanilla milkshake and lots of Oreo toppings." I smiled at the shocked waiter.

Yep I had a huge appetite but so what? The waiter didn't have yo eat peanut butter a sandwiches because they give healthy protein or eat greens because they are good for... I forgot. So yeah, I need to spoil myself before going back to the torturous and totally unnecessary diet.

"I'll have what the lady is having but with water instead." The waiter nodded before disappearing from our sight.

"Huge appetite?" Justin asked, amused.

I grinned, "yup, the secret stash you got me ran out today."

His jaw dropped, "but that was a month's worth of candy."

"Hey! Don't make me feel guilty about this. I cried to you for help but you took Cara's side." I argued. Justin chuckled and shook his head in disbelief.

"She had a knife." He tried to explain.

"She's a chef of course she had a knife." I raised a brow. "Anyway let's play twenty questions." I suggested

"Okay..." He said hesitantly.

"So what's your favourite colour?" I started.

"Easy, black. I'm guessing yours is gold" He said and my mouth twitched.

"What gave it away?" I questioned.

"Your dress at the ball." He answered simply. And here I thought it was a much more complex assumption than that.

"Oh. So what—"

"Uh-uh," he stopped me, "you already asked two questions."

"Right. Ask away." I said, curiously waiting for his question. This was an opportunity for the both of us to quiz each other and get answers, hopefully honest answers. And to know each other better, of course.

"You could have been anywhere in the world. Switzerland, Nigeria, Italy, China, Australia, or wherever so why choose USA?"

The waiter comes back with our drinks before I can answer. It gives me a bit more time to think carefully of my answer.

"I'll be back with your meals in five minutes." The waiter informed us and I have him a small nod.

"Okay... Promise not to laugh." I said with my most serious face.

"I promise." He said holding his hand to his heart.

"I chose USA because of movies. I guess I wanted to live the American dream I see in movies. Move here, get rich and famous, go back home with a big name; something out of the movies I watched."

"Are you living your American dream?" He asked.

"I'm not there yet but I'm close. My expectations changed. I'm just been in love with the city since you showed me around so I guess I should thank you for showing me more than the American dream." I smiled.

"I didn't do anything."

I reached for his hands across the table and laced his fingers with mine. "You showed me around this beautiful yet busy city. I guess I finally saw New York for what it is not what it is in the movies and I don't like the city any less than I did before. So thank you." I lightly squeezed his hands.

The waiter brought our food causing us to break apart from each other.

• • •

"

You can't go wrong with cookies and cream ice cream, especially if the cookies are oreos." I argued, licking my ice cream.

"That's where you are wrong. Rocky Road takes the trophy here." He said, licking his lips clean. I would have been so tempted to lick them clean myself if they weren't covered in gooey icky chocolate flavoured ice cream. Ugh! Why couldn't it be vanilla or something?!

"Chocolate makes my blood cold." I shuddered.

"But you eat chocolate flavoured candy." He stated, looking slightly confused. Confusion is not a good look on him.

"I don't hate chocolate I just dislike it, but I do eat chocolate or chocolate flavoured goodies sometimes because as Mama always said 'Chocolate is a worldwide delicacy'." I chuckled when a grin appeared on his face.

"Your mother is a very wise woman." He commented. I playfully rolled my eyes gently bumping his shoulder as we walked in the narrow pathway.

"Have you ever tried the ice cream before hating on it?" He asked and I shook my head. No I haven't. It looked too chocolatey for my taste.

"Try it." He placed the cone under my chin, the ice cream in front of my lips.

"No, I can't betray my senses." I shook my head resisting the chance at indirectly kidding Justin.

"Come on just one lick won't hurt." He tempted.

"Okay..." I darted out my tongue licking the ice cream. I didn't quite like the taste but it wasn't that bad. I liked the ice cream all around to even it out before I pulled away licking my lips.

Justin's eyes seemed to be locked on my lips, unmoving. My heart skipped a beat focusing on him. One of these days I swear I will kiss the living daylights out of this man...

But for now I'll focus to getting back to work on time.

"Hey Justin!" I called out, snapping him out of his trance. "Are you coming?"

"Right behind you, Candy."

*****

Hey lovies!

Sorry for the hold up but here's a new chapter, so forgive me?🥺❤️

Don't forgot to vote and comment.

XOXO
Khanya.