-Chapter Sixty Five

All of sat on the dinner table surrounded by boxes but no one really cared to start unpacking. My mom's meal had everyone's attention.

After everyone ate, we sat by the table and chatted.

"How are my grandchildren doing?" Mamma asked her eyes pointed towards Emerald and I.

"Christopher is growing too fast for my liking." Emerald said and Mamma chuckled.

"They always do. Their early years go by really fast but their teen years are a stretch so enjoy every moment." Mamma said and Emerald nodded with a smile.

"So," her eyes fitted on me, "everything going okay?" She asked.

"Everything is great. The babies are in good health and so am I." I replied. Justin held my hand with a smile on his face which I returned. My smile disappeared when I turned towards Mamma's confused face.

"I thought..." She started but held in her words when she saw my eyes widened in panic.

"You thought?" Tumi asked.

"About baby names. Considering there are four of them I should at least get to name one right?" Mamma covered up smoothly.

"Of course." Justin replied.

"Splendid, now Lerato and I should get started on the dishes so we can unpack." Mamma said.

Justin immediately protested against the idea but my mother waved him off. "She is pregnant not disabled. Now come." She said and took me by hand before pulling me to the kitchen.

"Mamma I can explain." I said immediately when we were in the kitchen, an earshot away from everyone else.

Mamma raised her hand to stop me. I was expecting her to tell how crazy this was or maybe even scold me. What I didn't expect is for her to pull me into a hug. She was careful not to compress my bump. Her hug was everything I needed. It was comfort. It was reassuring. It was like a personal message from her body saying "everything is going to be alright".

I didn't believe her though. I had a tinge of hope but I couldn't allow myself to believe more than that. I don't want to get disappointed. All I want is my babies to be well, it doesn't matter what happens to me.

"Are you sure about this Lerato?" Mamma asked after a while. I looked up at her with tears in my eyes.

"No I'm not but Mamma look how happy he is I can't ruin it for him." I said weakly.

"Don't you think he should be prepared? If he is going to be—" She took in a breath as if saying what she was about to say physically broke her and maybe it did because I saw tears form in her eyes. My mother was a strong woman. I'm sure she has cried but never in front of me and Tumi.

"Mamma..." I whispered with tears in my eyes. She shook her head and looked up but the tears flowed out freely from her eyes.

"My baby," she muttered as she embraced me once more, "I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry too Mamma." I sobbed.

She pulled away and looked at me, "No my baby, don't be. You didn't choose this. Even though I think you should tell Justin. I will support you in everyway. I will be here when you're..."

"It's okay Mamma. Everything will be fine. We'll pray everyday."

"Yes we will." She said as she wiped her own tears and I did the same. We both breathed out.

"Lets go grab the dishes that we actually came to wash." Mamma said and I laughed. It felt so much better with my mother around.

• • •