-Chapter Twenty Seven

My future sister-in-law is now seven and a half months pregnant. She is one of the very few women in the female population that make pregnancy look gorgeous and effortless. But I know better, the textbooks don't lie.

Emerald waddled into the room with a cute unicorn maternity onesie and matching slippers. She looked so cute and utterly adorable.

"How's my favourite baby mamma in the whole world doing?" I asked as she wrapped in an awkward embrace. I was being carefully not to put pressure on her huge belly.

"She's doing much better now that there are only elven weeks left until she meets her son." She answered referring to herself.

"You hear that nephew," I cooed as I rubbed circles on Emerald's belly, "only eleven weeks until you meet your favourite aunt."

"Staking your claim on our son, I see." Tumi said and I chuckled.

"I'm not staking my claim, I'm already his favourite." I argued.

"Mmm." Emerald moaned as Tumi adjusted her pillow on the couch.

"The baby is kicking." Emerald said. Tumi rushed to her side. Emerald took his hand and placed it on her plump belly.

Tumi's face brightened as he felt his son kicking. "I think we got ourselves a soccer player."

I watched as they got mushy mushy, kissing and getting too cute for my eyes to handle. I just can't with these two. I wonder if this is how Justin and I will be when we're expecting one day. Maybe we'll be married by then with our own little house. We would have these cute and mushy moments so many times that it would make people sick. But we wouldn't care, it would be just us.

"Come." Emerald said. I walked over to her and lowered myself to her belly's level. Emerald guided my hand and I felt movement under the palm of my arm. So that's what a baby's kick feels like.

When Mama was pregnant with Naledi, Naledi hardly kicked at daytime instead she'd keep Mama awake all night. One day I waited up all night to feel her kick but she only kicked after I had fallen asleep. Sneaky little devil, isn't she?

"Hello nephew, it's your favourite aunty Lerato." I said in a baby voice and Tumi chuckled. Just then I felt another movement under my palm, more powerful than the last.

"I think my nephew just approved of me being his favourite aunt." I said grinning sheepishly at the amused couple.

• • •

"How is everything going?" Tumi asked.

We were at a cosy café near his apartment. All snugged up in my new big coat that Justin got me the week before Halloween.

It was only half way through November but the weather wasn't forgiving. I envied Naledi during this times. She can enjoy the warm weather back home while I have to freeze to death.

"Everything is great. School is better since I learnt time management and work is okay. A good cheque every month end. What more can a girl ask for?" I shrugged, sipping on my rooibos tea.

"I'm glad everything is going good but I meant in your personal life." He said and I placed my tea on the table.

"Uh–what would y-you like to know?" I asked nervously. I wasn't hiding anything. Okay yes, I am hiding something hence my nerves bouncing off the black and white walls of this cosy café.

Tumi wiped cream off the corner of his lips using the serviette with the café's logo on it. Then he put it on the empty plate that once had delicious cheesecake. He leaned back in his seat and asked, "Anything you think I should know?"