V5: Chapter 12 - Relay Race

Start from the beginning

By the time Maezono received the baton from Onodera, our class fell to the fourth place as Class 1B surpassed us as well. We would have fallen to the fifth place if the Class 3A students hadn't struggled to pass the baton to each other.

We, the anchors, were already on our positions waiting for the fifth runners to finish their two hundred meters.

"Who would have thought the relay race would take this turn, huh?" Karma asked with a smirk.

"Yeah. First-year Class A stumbling upon my classmate was a rather unfortunate event," Nagumo replied.

"Heh~? Are you saying it was Kamuro's fault? Aren't you going to defend your classmate, Hayato?" Karma addressed the Class A anchor.

He just looked at Karma blankly without replying.

"Oh, look here they come," Karma spoke again. "Let's see... 2B, 1C and 1B, huh? It looks like your classmate is among the last ones, Nagumo."

"As I said, it was a rather unfortunate event. In any case, it's not like we need the points. And on the good side, I'll be able to run against you directly, huh? President Horikita."

"That's a great idea, Nagumo. How about we run? Kiyotaka and Mikoto will join as well!" Karma declared.

"Eh? Why would I join?" Mikoto questioned.

"What's the matter, Mikoto? Our year's ranking has already been decided, so you actually get to compete against capable students. Is that what you wanted, right?"

Mikoto met Karma's gaze pondering on what to decide.

"Karma-kun!"

Kocho arrived and passed the baton to Karma who just stayed there. She looked startled at first but quickly understood what was happening.

"My, so it's like that. Then good luck, Karma-kun. Try not to get last place."

She left with those words and the runner of Class 2B arrived.

Kiryuuin sighed.

"A pity. I'd like to run with you all, but my class needs that first place, I'll be seeing your race, though. So, be sure to put up a good show."

She said that last part while winking at me, then, she took the baton and stormed off towards the finish line in what should be an easy first place.

Just what had Karma told her about me?

"Misaka!"

Sonoda arrived and passed the baton to Mikoto who gestured to start running but then stopped and bit her lip.

Karma chuckled and opened his arms in a welcoming gesture.

"It's good to have you among us, Mikoto. Let's run 200-meter to remember," he declared.

People in the stands were starting to whisper as they saw neither Karma nor Mikoto parted.

"What do you say, Kiyo? A challenge. For old time's sake. We all renounce to the possibility of victory for final showdown. A dream race between five of the best the school has."

Two more runners arrived and passed the baton to their respective anchors who left to fight for the second place.

Nagumo chuckled.

"To think you said he wasn't good at sports... What will you answer Ayanokouji? You've had great performances up until now, a good two hundred meters here should be a great way to close your recital."