Chapter 5

Isabella's POV

It's been about three weeks now and today is my first game. Practices have been good and there hasn't been a day where I hadn't given it my all. Softball has been more of an escape recently. It's always been an escape but recently I've been getting lost in it. I'm the lead in theatre class. Emily has giving me shit about it too. She called me a whore as we were walking in the hallway and before I could defend myself Ms. Miller did it for me.

Ms. Miller and I haven't really talked since our encounter in the park. I think she knew she hit a nerve and didn't really know what to do or how to resolve the issue. Maybe it's for the best. I don't want to get attached to her which is what happens to me easily. Especially when she's my teacher. I think it's in a way hurting us both. She glances at me in class, sometimes I hold eye contact and other times i ignore it. I know we only talked for the two days I was here yet they made my day somehow.

Carter and I have become insanely close. So have Alexis and I too. The group split up because Rudy and Miles didn't really like the idea of me joining them all of a sudden. Apparently they were also really toxic so Alexis and Carter decided to just stop being friends with them. Carter, Alexis, and I actually hang out outside of school too. They prefer my house because it's the biggest though. 

Alexis is pitching tonight while I catch. The last catcher hasn't given me a hard time. I think she knows the team needs me. Speaking of the game, Carter is coming too. I wonder if Ms. Miller will come.

Our jerseys have our last name and our number on the back, so mine is Bianchi and the number twenty one. Twenty one has always been my mom's favorite number so I decided to switch up my number.

"On three! 1! 2! 3! Wildcats!" We all yell running to our positions.

I run to catcher and as you do before any game, Alexis throws a few pitches. Most of them were strikes so I'm not too worried. The umpire comes behind me and the batter comes up to the plate. "Play Ball!"

Alexis throws the first pitch and it's perfect but the batter hits it. It's a pop up to second which is caught. The game goes on, I haven't gotten to throw down or get mean sadly. It's my turn up to bat and the pitcher and I stare coldly through our eyes. I move my bat back and fourth to sike her out. She goes to throw a curve ball but she doesn't know I'm literally a professional batter and have a good eye when it comes to it.

I swing as hard as I can, my eyes not leaving the ball. I hear the crack and the ball soars through the air. I start running as I watch the ball go over centerfield fence. I'm not surprised since I've hit home runs before, but it does feel nice to remember the feeling of the crowd screaming for you. When I get around all the bases and arrive at home, my teammates are all waiting for me and start hitting my back and shoving me around congratulating me.

The game continues and I'm at catcher now. The game is 14-12 and we're already over time. There's a runner at third and first. When Alexis throws another ball it goes over my head but thank god I fastly got it. The runner is half way here so I immediately put my cold face on. I act like I'm going to throw it but don't and she starts running towards me. When I'm about to tag her she realizes I have the ball and runs back to third. I quickly throw the ball to third baseman. Of course the runner heads home. I duck expecting third baseman to throw it to pitcher at home but I look and she's not there. She throws it to me and I see first running to second. I took the risk and throw the ball fast and hard to second who tags the runner and that's game. "Alexis! Where were you? That could have cost us game." I say disappointed.

She mumbles that she forgot. "Maybe we should go off the basics then." I say harshly not even meaning to be rude.

"Someone needs to change from mean catcher back to Isabella." She says before walking away. I sigh and walk to the dug out packing my things after shaking hands with all the girls.