Chapter 3

Isabella's POV

When I get home I run upstairs and put on a pair of softball pants and a sweatshirt. I'm so excited that I just wanna leave right now but then I'd be like three hours early. I grab a pair of sunglasses and head downstairs to grab a water from the fridge. Fuck!

I forgot I didn't have enough room on the plane to bring a softball bag or anything. All I have is my glove because it's my lucky one and I can't play without it. I guess I do still have a lot of money on my card and I have a few hours so I can run to Dicks Sporting Goods and grab the things I need.

I grab my keys and go to my car and set Dicks in my google maps for directions. It's about thirty minutes away so that'd be an hour back and fourth plus the time I'm there which may be about thirty minutes approximately. I should have enough time to make it to the field on time. The softball field is at the school grounds thank god.

When I arrive to Dicks I go to the batting helmet section first. I get a white and grey one then go to the bats. I found a bat that fit me then get a pair of cleats. I have confidence that I'll make the team so I go ahead and get batting gloves too. Lastly I get a nice softball bag and pay for all my stuff. The cashier was so nice and even told me good luck after I explained I had tryouts.

It's almost 5:00 now and tryouts are at 6:00 so I head to the field. When I arrive I head to the dugout that no one is in. I do two laps around the whole entire field then stretch. I can't really pass with myself so I go back to the dugout and take a drink of my water. After a few minutes a short blonde girl comes in. She looks at me and smiles. "Hi, do you wanna pass with me?" She asks hopefully getting out her glove.

"Yes please." I laugh. "Do you have a ball?"

She nods and we go out to the field but in the outfield and start passing. Turns out she's the pitcher and her name is Alexis. Well at least she was theirs last year. "So what are you trying out for?" She asks throwing the ball back to me.

I wait for the ball as it comes in hard and fast and lands in my glove. "Catcher, actually. But I can play anywhere they need me."

"That's great! I don't mean to talk shit but the catcher we usually have sucks. She can barely stop balls and she's too lazy to hustle and get a ball if it goes behind her. That was the reason we lost a lot of games last year." She explains. "So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the position."

After awhile more girls start coming out and passing. After we all have been passing for about fifteen minutes we hear a whistle. I look to see where it came from and see a man maybe in his late thirties and a woman beside him. "Hustle up in a circle ladies!" He says walking to us.

He has a clipboard and he goes to each of us and asks us for our name. "My name is Brad Nelson but that's Coach Nelson to you. This here is Britney Watson but she likes Coach Britney. Okay starting off we're gonna do laps, I need to see how fast you are and if you're in shape enough."

We all take off. I'm very confident in my running and it shows as I'm in first ahead of the girls. I don't notice though because I'm in my own world when I run. After three laps he blows the whistle and we run to him. "What's your name again?" He asks me.

I look around and see everyone is looking at me. "Isabella Bianchi."

"You're one hell of a runner kid, let's see if your fielding and hitting shows justice though." He says patting my back.

"Okay! I want pitchers and catchers to go with Coach Britney, everyone else come with me."

I walk to the woman that was beside him earlier and Alexis stands next to me. There's only five of us.

"Raise your hand if you're a pitcher." Coach Britney asks. Three girls raise their hands. "So I'm guessing you're my catchers." She says looking at us. I nod and look to the girl that is the other catcher. From what I've heard she sucks so I have a really good chance.

"Since you're new let me pitch to you to see what your skills are and stuff okay?" She asks. She brings me to the dug out and helps me get the catcher gear on even though I could have easily done it myself. I've been a catcher for three years now and I've been timed in how fast I can get it on and off, I know it was impressive.

We walked to the outfield since the other coach was hitting grounders to the girls. When I crouch down I prepare for the pitch. I don't know if she's a slow or fast pitcher. I prefer fast pitchers because it's easier to catch. She doesn't even warm up so she must be good. She purposely throws a bad pitch that roughly bumps in the grass making me have to use my body to stop it. I catch it in my glove though and throw it back. We did this for about twenty minutes. She threw some high balls that made me have to jump and some low balls that made me have to use my body. Still, I did not let one single ball past me. She then wanted to see how far I can throw so she went farther away. First she went about the distance home plate to second would be and I threw down then even threw on my knees which I could also do.

She walked back to me, "I'll have to talk to Coach Nelson but between me and you me, I think we have our star catcher and player."

I smiled widely, "Thank yo—"

Before I could finish my sentence the whistle blew and we all ran to the infield where Coach Nelson was. "Coach Britney is going to hit you all grounders and I'm going to take a few girls at a time to the cages and let you hit a few balls to see where you're at." We all nodded and he took three girls with him. Coach Britney told me to go wherever I wanted and she used a random girl to catch the balls for her at home plate.

I went behind a girl at shortstop and we took turns grounding. Coach Britney even hit a fly ball in the middle of third and me and I called it and dove for it. I caught it as I was on my stomach and threw it. Soon Coach Nelson called me, and two other girls with him. We grabbed our batting stuff on the way. On the outside of the cages he had two tee's to practice on for when you aren't in the cages and that's what we did.

When it was my turn I was a little nervous. I basically nailed this tryout so I'll probably fuck up now. But when I got up there I hit those balls that would definitely be a home run if we weren't in a cage right now. "Damn it Bianchi, I was hoping you couldn't hit so you could be our bunter, you're the fastest on the team."

I laugh and since we were the last three we all head to the field. He writes stuff down as we walk there and when we get there he tells us to take five while he goes to talk to Coach Britney. He makes us sit in a circle and he said if he calls your name you made it and if he doesn't then your cut. I didn't pay much attention to names until I heard my name. I also heard Alexis's name but all I could think about was that I made the team!

I'll make you proud mom, I promise.