Chapter 29

Entering the house, we were greeted by a very clingy Yoongi and the two other Kim brothers, both equally annoyed with everything that's going on, followed by Mr. Kim. Mrs. Kim was nowhere to be seen though.

"Maya, Namjoon, I'm so glad you both came." Mr. Kim says, then pulls both of us in his arms. This is new.

"You called us Mr. Kim, how could we not come?" I reply, to which Mr. Kim smiled at me, it wasn't a genuine one but at least he was doing a good job at faking it.

"Maya didn't expect to see you here." A voice distracts us. Mrs. Kim stands by the door of their bedroom. The atmosphere visibly becomes a tense one.

"Well now that you are here, the kids are here, let's just break it down for them, so that it's easier for them to wrap their heads around this matter." Mr. Kim reluctantly says.

"No, wait no. I don't understand why do you have to leave each other and why do we have to be okay with it." Namjoon screams. I squeeze his arm before asking him to calm down and let his parents explain themselves. We sit down, scattered around the giant coffee table, waiting for what they had to say.

"Well, I won't sugarcoat it. We just aren't happy anymore. We frustrate each other. The number of fights has increased lately and it feels like this relationship that we have is turning toxic. Every morning I wake up and I see your father lazing around the house, reluctant to help me, messing up things, ordering around like I'm his servant. This man won't even grab a cup of coffee on his own." Mrs. Kim starts. She was about to continue when she was cut off by Mr. Kim.

"Oh, don't you dare try to make this about me. You always look for reasons to fight with me. Last week you fought with me about the fact that I placed the pillow on the sofa at the wrong angle. Who the hell does that? At this point, I feel like you liked me and were civil with me all these years solely because I used to make a shit ton of money. Now that I have retired, and am living off the savings that I made all my life, which is enough for us to have a pretty high standard of living, by the way, you just can't seem to tolerate me. If it was because of money all these years then why did you even bother trying to show love and affection to me?" Mr. Kim scoffs. What started off as a slightly calm conversation escalated to screaming and yelling in no time.

I look at Namjoon only to see him looking at me with a slight smile. That was enough for me to know that he, too, was thinking the same thing. What I said might have happened to his parents was in fact on point. Namjoon was about to say something to his parents but was cut off by Yoongi, Taehyung and Seokjin screaming and whining like kids and saying something about how they should make compromises, which did no good because that angered Mrs. Kim more. She said something about how dare they question her about compromising when she has been doing that all her life. As the chaos died down, I decided to speak up.

"If you don't mind, can I say something?" I ask

"Yea- " "No." Mr. Kim was cut off by Mrs. Kim's sharp refusal, which took everyone aback. As if she read the question in everyone's mind, she spoke up,

"As far as I know, this is a matter which involves me, my husband, and my family. You don't fall under the categories, so I suggest you don't poke your nose into OUR familial matters." Mrs. Kim says, with a look, so cold it can give you chills.

"Mom, Dad asked her to come here since she is like family. Don't lash out at her. She has no fault." Namjoon immediately says, while I mentally facepalm. I love him right now for defending me but his mother doesn't mean it, she's just angry and I happened to speak up at the exact moment. This is going to add fuel to the fire.

"Oh? So now what you'll be rude to your mother for some random girl? Is that how it's going to be now? I knew this girl would be like this. I knew it ever since I saw her being excessively close to you. Damn girl, I knew you were smart and cunning, but I didn't know you were this cunning to push a son away from his mother." She says, making eyes at me.

Okay, now that hurt. I was never rude to anyone who was older than me but if this goes on, I won't care, I'll put her in her place.

"Even now. Look at her, she knows what's going on, and yet she chooses to not read the room and instead stick to you."

She then turns to me, "Do you have no shame? At least keep your hands off him when his parents are present in the room. God nowadays girls will do anything to get to rich boys."

That was it for me. I admired this woman ever since I met her but now, I feel like I am a bad judge of character because right now she is not someone I know and respect. I didn't ask to get sucked into this family drama yet here I am because of their request and then she ends up insulting me.

"Okay, first off Mrs. Kim, you do not know a single thing about me or my life so do not even try to make baseless assumptions about me. I was with Namjoon when Mr. Kim called and he specifically asked for me to come here because I am like family, so yes, that gives me the right to poke my nose into your matters. Secondly, I'm not behind your son, especially not for money. Thanks to the company and my position in it, I earn quite a lot which is enough for me to survive luxuriously on my own, without anyone's help. And yes it's true that the whole time I have been in close proximity to Namjoon, but that is specifically because he asked me to. He asked me to stay by his side, quite literally, so that he doesn't lose his calm in front of you guys and say something that he'll definitely regret. So yeah I have been, in your words, 'sticking' to him so that your relationship with him doesn't deteriorate. Oh and about me being 'excessively close' to him? That was also because I had been working in the company longer than him and so I was asked to help him out and assist him in every step. And please care to explain how, when someone's child says the right thing because he knows that his parents are clearly in the wrong, is an act of pushing a son away from the mother?"

For once Mrs. Kim shut up completely, trying to take in my words. They came out harsher than I expected but she had it coming. I can't sit and watch someone bad mouth me sitting right in front of me.

"I think I should just go while the rest of you sort out the rest of this mess. Unfortunately, I can't go back home right now, I'll have to leave with Namjoon, since we came together, so if you would just tell me my room, I would appreciate it. I do not want to stay in matters where I am clearly not wanted." I say, eyeing Mrs. Kim as I say the last line.

"Ah yes, Tae, take Maya to the guest room and help her settle in." Mr. Kim says. "Take her to the one right across Joonie's room." He further adds.

I smile a little and look at Namjoon, who is shy now that his childhood nickname has been revealed in front of me.

I take my belongings and follow Taehyung as he leads the way to the assigned room.

"Please don't take it to your heart," Taehyung says as we enter the guest room. I cock my eyebrows as I look up at him.

"Whatever mom said back there. Just don't take it to your heart. She's just angry about the entire situation and probably channeled that in your direction." He says with a soft look in his eyes.

"I know. I absolutely know that. But the way she kept on saying about how shameless I am or how I couldn't keep my hands off of Namjoon, it just made me feel like she was questioning my upbringing and my family background, and I will not tolerate anyone who tries to insult my late family. It just hurt when she said that and I knew I had to defend myself before Namjoon sweeps in and starts defending me. Because you saw what happened a few minutes back when he defended me." I say before audibly sighing. I could feel the tears pool in my eyes.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry about what my mother said. Accept my apology on her behalf." Taehyung says as he squats down in front of me. I smile a little before ruffling his hair.

"You don't need to apologize. I know she doesn't like me, I don't know why though. So I don't really expect anything from her. It's okay. I'll be fine. You go down and sort out the rest of this. Oh and stay near Namjoon. Because he has some strong shit prepared, if he loses his temper. Trust me, I heard him rant in the car. It'll get ugly if he says anything close to what he said to me."

"You really do like him, don't you? He is an idiot for not realizing that, or liking you back for that matter." He says.

I smirk before saying, "I don't think he is an idiot though."

"What are you guys hiding from us?" Taehyung says, clearly excited. He is such a child.

"We'll have this conversation some other time. Now go before people bite your head off."

With that he waves at me and rushes down the stairs, joining the others in the living room.