Chapter 14

The after-party

Maya's POV

After party? Nope, this is the type of raves teenagers go to, sneaking out of their house and lying about their age. Everywhere I look, I see couples making out, sweaty bodies grinding against each other on the dance floor, people drinking till they puke their guts out, and whatnot. I can't even keep count of the number of drunk men who felt my ass up. I have never felt more out of place. But I can't tell anyone anything, these people need something to take a break from their tiresome lives. Let them live even if it's for one night.

I keep glancing around fiddling with the drink in my hand, occasionally making conversation with the people around me. I haven't spotted Namjoon in a long time. He is surely busy, after all, he's the host. He's probably out there socializing with people.

I have the sudden urge to pee. I finally abandon the 4th glass of alcohol that I've had all night. I start looking for a free room which has a washroom. I know Namjoon's house by heart but I do not want to walk in on people doing the nasty. I was sure that Namjoon's room would not be occupied by anyone. I finally locate his room feeling elated and on the verge of exploding because of my full bladder. I run in and finally relieve myself, feeling a lot better. Not sober, but better. I wash my face and walk out of the washroom only to see the one thing I never in a million years thought I would see and saying that my heart broke would be a lie because what I was feeling was worse than heartbreak.

Namjoon and Hwasa were making out.

My best friend of eight years, who knew what I felt for Namjoon was standing here, making out with him. They were so damn into it that they didn't even notice me standing there. Finally overcoming the shock, I slam the washroom door shut, startling them.

I could see the panic in Hwasa's eyes. Looking into my eyes, it said a completely different story. A mixture of heartbreak, anger, disappointment, betrayal could be seen in mine.

Before any of them could say something, I stormed out of the room. Whatever feeling of being drunk was left in me was nowhere to be seen. I could feel a hot tear trickle down. Not paying attention to anything or anyone that was in my way, I left the house and headed towards the gate to be able to breathe again before I head back home. I couldn't stay in the same place where my best friend was humping the one man I ever had feelings for knowing they won't bother calling each other after this one-night stand.

Being lost in my thoughts, I mindlessly bump into Yoongi who appeared to be lonely tonight. He saw me and thank goodness he didn't ask me anything. He just hugged me. I needed that. That hug felt like he reassured me that everything would be alright.

"Do you want to head home? I can see you don't want to stay here even for a moment." He whispers into my ear. I just nod my head.

I don't think I have ever seen this gentlemanly side of Yoongi and honestly, it feels comforting. Currently, his company and his subtle attempts at making jokes are truly comforting as we head towards my home. He insisted on coming with me because he said and I quote "A pretty lady should never walk home alone."

But upon reaching home I see something that makes my life flash before my eyes. It's gone. My house is gone. Engulfed in a huge fire. The police and firemen are running around the place. How come no one called me and informed me about this. I snapped out from my thoughts and the initial shock when Yoongi pulled me into his arms and held me there.

That was it. I couldn't hold it in anymore.

I let the waterworks takeover me. Everything I had was in that house. Memories of my childhood, memories of me and my brother playing catch in the yard, memories of me with my family, their belongings that I couldn't bring myself to discard. Everything was in there. And now everything is gone. It feels like someone took the remote of my life from my hand, changed the channel, and put on horror, and then threw the remote away and I'm stuck with this never-ending torment. I am homeless now. I can't do anything about it. All these thoughts keep rushing through my mind as I finally collapse to the ground and finally pass out.

Two hours later

I wake up to see a very worried Yoongi pacing around me and me laying on my neighbor's couch. I get up and Yoongi immediately engulfs me in a big hug. I never thought of Yoongi as a hugger.

"I wanna go to the Police station. I need to find out how it happened." I say expressionlessly as I stare at Yoongi. He says nothing but nods before we get into his car and drive off to the police station.

At the police station

"Gas leak." The police say, returning after confirming everything with the fire department.

Those two words. Something as mere as a gas leak took everything I held dear to me after I lost my family. A mere gas leak took away every last remnant of my family. Still shaken up about it, I firmly stay seated with Yoongi constantly assuring me that everything will be fine.

"I don't have a place to stay now. What am I supposed to do?" I ask Yoongi, my voice so soft it sounds like a whisper.

What Yoongi said at that moment made me thankful to the heavens that I met him.

"You can stay with me for as long as you want."

I immediately took him up on the offer. I didn't care about anything else at that point. 'What would Namjoon think if he found out I was staying at Yoongi's?' was the first thought that came to my mind. I can't believe I was still thinking about him right now. I shrugged it off before heading over to Yoongi's place.