Ch 38 Apprentice

3rd person pov

Claire Launched towards Alexander like an arrow through the wind, her long red hair like a streak of red trailing behind her waving in the wind.

She Crossed the 10-meter distance in less than a second, Her feet planted and her blade thrust forth appearing as only a flash and the size of a needle.

In a blink of an eye her attack missed entirely her target lost in a massive fog, she began to whip her head around in every direction around herself, Her gaze snapping between the sounds of the grass rustling, footsteps, the whistle of swords. Her head began to throb in pain trying to figure out where he was in the mist.

"Ah, that spell is quite the nuisance to deal with Alexander."

"yea it really is, Although it is a weaker version of what you experienced in terms of dispelling it."

Alexander placed down a glass of water that Kaspain had handed him and walked back into the cloud of mist.

Alexander swung his wooden katana hitting Claire in the back and just as swift as his slash he vanished back into the cloud, then continuing his attack aided by the misdirection of the mist.

A thrust to the ribs, then a slash to the back, before an overhead swipe towards her head, this series of three attacks continued over and over, but right before each attack, there were two sets of footsteps, one of them the real one the other an Illusion.

Claire was attacked over and over with the same attacks for a while, her senses of hearing, and sight utterly useless. she would have to rely on her instincts, and the faint breeze as he moved. after failing to block 20 hits to her ribs she blocked it, Alexander pivoted his feet spinning around her, and swung at her back having a frim connection.

Alex restated the Sequence of attacks, a thrust to the ribs was met with a block, then a slash to her back connected, after a few more hits she managed to block the second attack, then When Alexander went for the overhead slash it was blocked on the first attempted.

A wry smile appeared on Al's face as the mist disappeared from view, Claire got up to her feet clearly her side and back sore but nonetheless ready for more.

"That's one annoying spell you got there." Claire spat out.

"A subtle bit of sound magic isn't normally a problem, but if you impair their sight it works wonders in fights."

Al stuck his hand up beckoning her to fight him, "If you can land a hit on me I'll show you my true strength." He joked, But right as he finished his sentence he moved his head an inch to the right dodging her wind bullet.

"Nice try, but your magic won't work on me, even fire," he said teasing her.

Claire ignited her sword but it was instantly snuffed out like a candle. "What? How?" Claire's face and eyes were bewildered.

"Wind mana lesson one, Fire magic is utterly useless Against a competent wind mage, Because fire can't burn without air oxygen to fuel it, And to an allies fire magic a wind mage can turn even the dullest sparks into the highest level of fire magic." As Al instructed her he allowed Claire's sword to reignite then boosted Claire's fire to blue fire, which danced beautify in stark contrast to her Blood red hair that danced in the wind.

Claire remained silent in amazement and admiration of wind magic, to be able to miniplate the strength of fire magic with wind alone better than most fire mages was utterly shocking to the 16-year-old girl, and this done to the boy who looked to be only 15 at most but was only 13 was impressing her, to say the least.

"Now let's get to the swordsmanship, show me that skill you used to block my attacks in the mist."

Claire Dashed forward at him unleashing a dozen thrusts in rapid succession, they were aimed precisely at Alexander's vital organs, each thrust launched a burst of fire or a spear of wind at the boy.

he didn't take a single step from where he was, simply dodging, deflecting or dispelling, every single thrust, slash, or spell. And at one point he grabbed a wind bullet with his bare unaugmented hand and turned the wind bullet into his own wind spear which he used to deflect the fireballs.

"your attacks live up to the standards of the name bladeheart and your training with kaspain, Now let's see about your defense." Al's voice was calm and collected, he swung his wooden blade deflecting Claire's rapier and unleashing a rapid onslaught of swings.

Whenever Claire went to block he pivoted his feet and swing his body around her block going for a different target, when she swung he blocked the attack spinning to take the force over her blow and redirect it into his counterattack.

After 4 minutes of the never-ending whirlwind of attacks that was Al's berserker like fighting style, Claire dropped to her knees from exhaustion panting heavily her muscles sore from the constant impacts of his wooden sword, even though he only augmented his eyes and not his body Alexanders strikes we not soft.

Alexander walked up to her and handed her a bottle of water which she gulped down fast, she was fighting as fast and hard as she could to keep up with Alexander and as a result, her body was dehydrated and sore.

"ahh, that hits the spot." Claire breathed out relieved from the cool water."

"A cold drink is the best after a fight I know that well." Al agreed as he pulled her up to her feet

"you could have gone a bit easier on me Alexander." Claire whined a bit feeling her sore shoulders.

"Actually I was... A lot." Al rubbed the back of his head

"of course you were" Claire Sighed out in defeat.

Alexander pulled out a small green orb of pure wind mana and handed it to Claire, "here Absorb the mana it should help a bit."

Claire Sat down and meditated drawing mana from the orb, Al sat down behind her using ice mana to cool down and soothe her sore body, and while nobody was looking he injected her with a tiny amount of soulfire that healed some of her torn muscle fibers and swollen tendons but was still undetected by her.

15 minutes later-------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Claire, Check your core stage," Alexander Said with a smirk.

"why?... can't have changed that much?"

Claire meditated on her core only to discover that she had gone up from Dark orange to Light orange.

"WHAT!?" She screamed out in Shock.

"The rest of your training from now and our time in Xyrus isn't going to be a cakewalk I assure you of that," Al said with a smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Join the Tbate fan fic discord and talk to us and get reminders of new fics https://discord.gg/SrZwypk3N6