August 2008 (1)

Standing in the recording booth for about the five hundredth time today, I had been attempting to perfect my verse for a new track that was featuring me, Lil Wayne, Lil Wayne's new sign, Drake, and Kanye West. Wayne, I had been really fucking with recently, well, ever since his release of  Tha Carter II I had been keeping an eye on his come up, which had been really fucking explosive, honestly. Drake, his new sign, I felt a little off about considering the dude had yet to even release an album, and I had never heard of him before. Wayne sent me some of his unreleased stuff in an attempt to try and persuade me when he reached out to me for this track, to which I definitely didn't hate by any means. But still. New blood in hip hop I've always found hard to get used to. 

Now, Kanye on the other hand, I certainly wasn't interested in doing a track with. It wasn't that I didn't think he was dope, The College Drop Out, Late Registration, Graduation, and his most recent drop, 808s & Heartbreaks were all really solid and well put together albums, I thought. But still. That doesn't erase what he did to Angel. 

When Wayne had told me Kanye had also agreed to be on the track, my first immediate reaction was fuck no. Angel told me he had tried to hit on her at some award show, and then after she rejected him 'cause she was fuckin' depressed over what I had done to her, he goes and disses her with Game?! Who was also just fuckin' pissed off 'cause she ain't wanna be with him?! Nah. That shit ain't sit right with me. 

But, after telling Wayne I wasn't interested if Kanye was gonna be on it, Kanye magically reached out to Angel, apologizing for the shit he pulled with Game. He claimed he was young, with a massive ego at the time due to his albums' successes and thought every woman shoulda just been falling at his feet. Since then, I guess he's realized how fucked up of an attitude that is, which I do get to a certain degree. I think I was like that at one point too. Fuck, even Angel remembers having a little bit of that mentality when fame hit us like a wall of fuckin' bricks. Regardless though, it's no excuse. But still, Angel accepted and I finally agreed to do the track, feeling at least a little bit better about it morally. 

I mean, to be honest, even Wayne I have some issues with. Yeah, I think he's dope, but that shit that went down with Angel and Nicki? He produced that entire fuckin' mixtape! Wayne claims he had no part in that shit, and that it was all Gucci who orchestrated it. He even went as far as to say as he just figured Angel had agreed to do the track, and that nobody ever told him differently. A part of me believes him, but also a part of me doesn't. Realistically, how the fuck could he not know? Him and Gucci are close friends. Last I heard Wayne was in the process of tryna sign Nicki. He has a lot at stake with her career, and Angel's verse did nothing but help to bolster Nicki within the eyes of the hip hop community. I don't know... Somethin' feels off about it... But regardless, Angel told me to do the track anyway, saying it would be good for my come back to be aligned with some of the biggest dudes in the industry right now. And she's right. Even Paul said she was right. But still, I can't help but feel at least a little weird. 

"There they go, packin' stadiums as Shady spits his flow/Nuts they go, Macadamia, they go so ballistic, woah/He can make them look like bozos/He's wonderin' if he should spit this slow, fuck no/Go for broke, his cup just runneth over, oh no/He ain't had him a buzz like this/Since the last time that he overdosed/They've been waitin' patiently Pinocchio to poke his nose/Back into the game and they know/Rap will never be the same as befo'/Bashin' in the brains of these hoes/And establishin' a name as he goes/The passion in the flame is ignited/You can't put it out once we light it/This shit is exactly what the fuck/That I'm talkin' about when we riot/You dealin' with a few true villains/Who stand inside of a booth, truth spillin'/And spit true feelings until our tooth fillings/Come flyin' up out of our mouths, now, rewind it/Payback, motherfucker/For the way that you doubted me, how's it taste?/When I slap the taste outta your mouth/With the bass so loud that it shakes the place/I'm Hannibal Lecter, so just incase you're thinkin' of savin' face/You ain't gonna have no face to save/By the time I'm through with this place, so Drake."