May 2010 (1)

Nearing the end of May, it was a bright and beautiful Sunday morning. The smell of last nights rain mixed with the beaming rays of sunshine that was somehow able to light up almost the entire house, put me in one of the most happy, most grateful moods. And if that wasn't enough all on it's own, the fact that I was getting to spend the entire day with Des watching football and just being with my son, definitely was. Angel and the girls had all left around ten to go pick up Zoe and make it to their bridesmaid dress alteration appointment by eleven, leaving just me and my lil' man to fend for ourselves for the day. 

Buttering two pieces of un-toasted bread, I carefully added large squares of cheese before squishing them together and tossing them into the pan. Listening as the heat forced the bread to sizzle, I allowed the cheese to melt before flipping the sandwich onto its un-toasted side. 

"Daddy, can I go watch SpongeBob before the football starts?" Des asked innocently from the table, setting down his crayons as he moved his attention away from his colouring book and towards me. 

"Yeah." I nodded. "'Course. I'll call you when lunch is ready."

"Thank you!" He yelped, hopping up from his chair within record time as he bolted towards the living room. Placing the perfectly browned and melted grilled cheese onto a plate, I quickly added the second one to the pan. Just as that same sizzling began, I heard as my phone started to ring from the island. Cranking my head, I was quick to spot the device before yanking it from the granite and returning to my position in front of the stove. 

Scanning my eyes across the screen, I read the contact as 'Wayne.' Knitting my brows together, I was confused but not shocked. We're friends, sure, but definitely not close enough to just be calling each other randomly. Maybe he wants a feature? Maybe he wants to talk about Angel and Nicki? Goddamn it, I really don't wanna be put in the middle of this. 

"Yo." I answered, my tone sounding casual as the greeting rolled from my tongue.   

"Yo, Em, how you been, dawg?" Wayne's incredibly recognizable and raspy voice travelled through my eardrum. 

"Yeah." I nodded. "I been good, I been good. How 'bout you? What's been goin' on over there?" 

"Man, not much. Just been workin' on some things, y'know how it goes." 

I chuckled. "Yeah, I feel you, I feel you. Always got somethin' in the works, for sure." 

"Yeah, yeah, well that's actually why I was callin', uh- Y'know, I'm workin' on a project right now for a new sign I got on my label."

"Oh, yeah?" 

"Yeah, and I was wonderin' if maybe you'd be down for a feature, y'know? I could send over some of the shit she's been doin'-" 

"She?" I blared through, my brows quickly flying upwards. "As in Nicki Minaj, she?" 

An awkward chuckle rolled from his lips. "Yeah, yeah, that's her." 

I shook my head. "Nah, dawg, I can't. I'm sorry, but- Nah. Nah."

"Yo, look, I get it, aight? Shit's been gettin' crazy with her and Angel, and I really ain't know how it's even gotten to this point if I'm bein' honest, but I do think like- Ya'll could have a huge record together if ya really wanted to, and not to mention, y'know, Nicki's been gainin' a ton of traction-" 

"Dawg, I'd love to help ya out, I really would, and especially since you've been so helpful for me with the No Love record, and the Forever record, but I just- I can't. Angel's my wife, dude, like- Whatchu doin' is essentially askin' me to publicly disrespect her. I ain't doin' that to her-" 

"Nah, nah, nah, I ain't askin' ya to say nothin', I ain't askin' ya to speak on the situation or anything. She's just got a track that I think you two would be really dope on together-"