Chapter 43.

Hey Guys!!!!

The 43rd chapter for the story.

I don't own Mahabharat.

It is going to be a long ride today. Enjoy!!

Happy Reading!!

**********

-- flashback –

"Kalaratri is the seventh of the nine forms of the Goddess Durga. She is first referenced in the Durga Saptashati, the earliest known form of the Goddess Durga." Lord Shiva begins.

"Kalaratri is widely regarded as one of the many destructive forms of the Mother Goddess, which include Kali, Mahakali, Bhadrakali, Bhairavi, Mrityu, Rudrani, Chamunda, Chandi and Durga." He informs the kids.

"The first part of the word Kalaratri is kala. Kala primarily means time but also means black in honour of being the first creation before light itself. This is a masculine noun in Sanskrit." He begins with the Etymology of Devi Kalaratri

"Time, as perceived by Vedic seers, is where everything takes place; the framework on which all creation unfolds. Vedic seers therefore conceived of kala as a powerful deity as much as a concept. This then gave rise to the Vedic image of the deified Kala as devourer of all things, in the sense that time devours all." Mahadev explains.

The kids frown in confusion, how was it related to Devi Kalaratri? Seeing their confusion, lord Shiva smiles knowingly.

"Kaalratri can also mean the one who is the death of time. It is said that, during the dissolution of the universe, Kala (time) devours the universe and is himself, engulfed by his spouse, the supreme creative force, Kali. Kālī is the feminine form of kālam (black, dark coloured) and refers to her being the entity beyond time. There is one truth: कालः शिवः तस्य पत्नीति - काली kālaḥ śivaḥ tasya patnīti kālī - "Shiva is Kāla, thus, his wife is Kāli" He explains. The kids mouth falls open in an 'o'.

"Now, the second part of the word kalaratri, is ratri and according to the Ratrisukta of the Rig Veda, sage Kushika while absorbed in meditation realised the enveloping power of darkness and thus invoked Ratri (night) as an all-powerful goddess. Thus, the darkness after sunset became deified and was invoked by sages to deliver mortals from fears and worldly bondage." Mahadev states, talking about the time a few thousand years ago when the Rig Veda was written by Rishis. Though initially it was orally transmitted from one generation to another, the Rishi's though it to be better if kept in written form.

"Each period of the night, according to Tantric tradition, is under the sway of a particular terrifying goddess who grants a particular desire to the aspirant. The word kalaratriin Tantra refers to the darkness of night, a state normally frightening to ordinary individuals but considered beneficial to worshippers of the Goddess."

'Someone had rightly said, Mahadev is who he is because of the vast knowledge he poses, which is not restricted in a genre.' The kids think, in awe with the great Man- er God in front of them.

"In latter times, Ratridevi (Goddess Ratri' or 'Goddess of the Night) came to be identified with a variety of goddesses - for example in the Atharva Veda, where Ratridevi is called Durga. Black references primal darkness before creation and also darkness of ignorance. Hence this form of goddess is considered as one who destroys the darkness of ignorance." Mahakal says, his voice had this light in it that made the kids realize that what he was talking about is not known by many people. They thanked their stars and the gods for the great chance they had to learn from a teacher like him.