Chapter 20: Come Back To Me

YOUR POV

I froze on my seat when he asked the question I expected the least. It was too late for me before I realized that I had reacted all too visible to his words but I quickly scoffed to cover up my reaction.

"You're spouting nonsense questions, Sano." I almost stuttered when I mentioned his name. My heart is racing against my chest as if I've done a horrible thing that I had to lie on. But Shinichiro remained unfazed and he kept his serious gaze on me before asking once again.

"Y/N, do you still love me?" I always do and probably always will, too.

"No." Lies.

"Then look into my eyes and tell me that." I clench my fists, starting to get irritated to myself as I'm getting all too nervous. I can feel the cold sweat forming on my forehead as I look up to meet his eyes.

"No." I felt my eye twitched with how stressed I'm getting with just a single question of his. And the way he's caging me under his gaze is intimidating the hell out of me. He's really not gonna let me go unless he gets the truth out of me.

"Tell me the truth." As expected. "Y/N, please." He pleaded. "I only want to hear the truth from you." I did not expect this to happen. I only agreed to have this talk with him, thinking it's about gang matters but I was wrong for that. Totally wrong. And now I'm starting to regret my decision, knowing there's a bigger possibility that I give in to this.

"You don't have to be afraid of what the outcome might be. Even just for once, let's be selfish and be true to our feelings, even just for tonight." He leaned forward on the couch, placing his elbows on top of his knees while intertwining his fingers. "All those years without you, I tried to hate you. I wanted to forget you because I was hurt by what happened." Ouch. But it was no surprise to me anymore. He had the right to hate me anyway. It was my fault that he didn't know, too.

"But I was successful on neither of those. Instead, I found myself craving for your presence from time to time. Before I knew it, I was falling even deeper even after that. And now I understand why I have that gut feeling to not let go of you yet." My breath hitched when he looked up and meet my gaze. "I know I'm wrong for not listening and not trusting you when we were together and I regret every bit of it. I know I should've believed in you because you're Y/N. You're the girl I love. The girl I trusted. My other half. The one who would never dare to do anything to hurt me in any way. So please..." This time his eyes showed multiple emotions at the same time and it hurt me to hear his voice break at the end.

"Just tell me the truth... I swear I'll make it up to you. I'll do anything to fix us. Just..." He paused. I realized that I'm already trembling as my eyes were glued to him. Is Shinichiro... really begging me to— "Come back to me." My heart skipped a beat when he finished my thought.

No no no.

This shouldn't happen. We can't be together again. Not when I'm in a partly similar situation as before. I might end up hurting him. I can't bear to cause him another heartbreak. Even if this is what I've wanted for a long time, I can't give in to this anymore. It's been long that I stopped fantasizing of getting back together with him. With trembling lips, I opened my mouth to voice out my response.

"No." Without giving him a chance to reply, I grabbed my bag and dashed out of the lobby, not realizing the heavy rainfall occurring right outside of the building.

"Y/N!" I heard him yell out to me but I paid no heed and instead made my way out of the building.

As soon as I did, my tears immediately rushed down my cheeks like an endless river together with the raindrops that engulfed my figure in an instant. I couldn't keep it in anymore. The heavy feeling on my chest. The regret. The sadness that I've been trying to ignore all along. And the blame that I carried on for years. The memory that I tried to bury at the back of my mind was digged up by the same man who left it on me and a wound once again opened in me.